• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adding to the herd

Hannahb2804

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I have two female guinea pigs roughly a year old and they’re in a 6x4 cage, when I move house roughly December I will be extending the cage, but I’m wondering if it would be ok to get another female guinea pig, probably a baby to make the bonding easier. Would this be ok to have three females? I understand once she is 6 months I’ll need a bigger cage but I should have got a bigger one by then, what are the best options if I was to adopt another piggie to add to the herd

It all comes down to character compatibility as to whether they will accept more piggies into their group. three piggies can be slightly more tricky to get to work though as there is sometimes an outsider situation occurring.
A 6x4 - I'm assuming you mean a c&c cage - is plenty big enough for three or four piggies without needing to upgrade

Dating at a rescue centre is the best way to find new piggies to merge in - that way, they will choose their own friends based on character compatibility and you don’t have to risk a failed bonding and having to have separate pairs

This guide will help you with information on what works and what doesn’t
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

So I have two female guinea pigs roughly a year old and they’re in a 6x4 cage, when I move house roughly December I will be extending the cage, but I’m wondering if it would be ok to get another female guinea pig, probably a baby to make the bonding easier. Would this be ok to have three females? I understand once she is 6 months I’ll need a bigger cage but I should have got a bigger one by then, what are the best options if I was to adopt another piggie to add to the herd

Hi!

Can you please specify whether that is a 6x4 C&C cage or whether that is the measure in feet?

In either case, the cage is large enough to house a quartet as it is and most definitely once you have moved. If possible, try to go from 2 to 4 as trios are the constellation most prone to outsider problems.
For a trio I would recommend to consider dating with a neutered boar as he is part of the group hierarchy but not the sow hierarchy.
If you can, please date at a rescue so you come home with new piggies only once acceptance has happened.
Cage Size Guide
These are the rescues we can vouch for: Rescue Locator (international link below the map)

It all comes down to character compatibility as to whether they will accept more piggies into their group. three piggies can be slightly more tricky to get to work though as there is sometimes an outsider situation occurring.
A 6x4 - I'm assuming you mean a c&c cage - is plenty big enough for three or four piggies without needing to upgrade

Dating at a rescue centre is the best way to find new piggies to merge in - that way, they will choose their own friends based on character compatibility and you don’t have to risk a failed bonding and having to have separate pairs

This guide will help you with information on what works and what doesn’t
Okay thank you, and yes it’s a 6x4 c&c cage, is it best to get younger piggies or older or does it not really matter?

Hi!

Can you please specify whether that is a 6x4 C&C cage or whether that is the measure in feet?

In either case, the cage is large enough to house a quartet as it is and most definitely once you have moved. If possible, try to go from 2 to 4 as trios are the constellation most prone to outsider problems.
For a trio I would recommend to consider dating with a neutered boar as he is part of the group hierarchy but not the sow hierarchy.
If you can, please date at a rescue so you come home with new piggies only once acceptance has happened.
Cage Size Guide
These are the rescues we can vouch for: Rescue Locator (international link below the map)
Yes sorry it’s a c&c cage! I adopted mine from a rescue and I think they do bonding so I think I’d take them there, would you say four females would be okay then rather than three? And is it best for younger piggies or older

Okay thank you, and yes it’s a 6x4 c&c cage, is it best to get younger piggies or older or does it not really matter?

Character compatibility comes before age. That is why having a rescue centre help with dating them is best as they will choose piggies which they are compatible with.
If you are going to add another pair to your current pair, then having the new pair be younger can be beneficial but it’s still going to come down to compatibility

My mistake, I’ve just realised I’ve given the wrong measurements. The cage I have is 2x4, is this still an ok size for 4? @Piggies&buns @Wiebke

No a 2x4 is the minimum suitable for 2 female piggies only, you then need to expand by at least another 2x1 for every extra piggy you add.

My mistake, I’ve just realised I’ve given the wrong measurements. The cage I have is 2x4, is this still an ok size for 4? @Piggies&buns @Wiebke

No, that is just the size for two guinea pigs. Please look at the cage size guide link in my previous post for computind the minimal space and then if possible go one or two sizes up.

If the rescue has neutered boars, then single 'Husboar' is also something you can think about. Again, compatibility applies. But at 6 months of age acceptance will generally be rather high as your girls are at ideal breeding age and you have those instincts working in your favour.
Please read the guide links!

No, that is just the size for two guinea pigs. Please look at the cage size guide link in my previous post for computind the minimal space and then if possible go one or two sizes up.

If the rescue has neutered boars, then single 'Husboar' is also something you can think about. Again, compatibility applies. But at 6 months of age acceptance will generally be rather high as your girls are at ideal breeding age and you have those instincts working in your favour.
Please read the guide links!
Thank you! I’ll wait until I have a bigger cage, my mistake I gave the wrong info x

Back