• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adopted Guinea Pig

marimomo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a new guinea piggy owner and read up about the piggies as much as I could before adopting one. (In my town this man was breeding and selling them and the SPCA rescued 33 guinea pigs, wow!) I named him Ekko and he lives in a nice cage with water and hay refilled both morning and night so it's never empty. I've been giving him tiny portions of lettuce since I'm not sure if the breeder gave the piggies lettuce before. He does use the potty and drinks plenty of water, so it's proof he's been eating and drinking.
For the first few days I kept a towel over his cage so he could get used to the cage without being scared of me. I am now almost a week in with him, and he's still deathly afraid of me. I understand they need time to adjust, but will my guinea pig ever adjust? I'm just worried he will never like me. We haven't had any biting incidents yet, he just runs away from you as fast as he can for as long as he can. I've also noticed he makes a high pitched squealing sound whenever I'm not looking at him. (It's not the same as the scared squealing, since I've heard that before :^(( ) Ekko is 8 weeks old (according to the SPCA), here is a picture!

20190309_193610.jpg
20190306_131020.jpg

Edit: I want to add that I am unable to get another piggy at this time due to financial issues and the fact that when I got him he was the only one left. So could it possibly be because he's lonely? And if so, how do I help him cope while I work on getting him a friend?

Young pigs learn from older ones in terms of what is safe to eat etc. What you have to bear in mind is that piggies are prey animals, so they will possibly always run away when you try to pick them up, even if they settle down once you’re holding them.

You should talk to him, as you approach where he is. Try hand feeding and speaking softly. There’s a section here on how to settle them. And the guinea pig whispering section here. It will take time for him to trust you. A week is a very short time to expect much.

When are you likely to be able to get him a friend? Nothing can replace the interaction they have with other piggies so I hope it’s soon. In the meantime all you can do is spend time with him, talking softly to him. If you manage to get him out the cage, give him a treat - parsley or another herb.

PS he’s gorgeous 🥰 I have a black piggy as well

Hi! I'm a new guinea piggy owner and read up about the piggies as much as I could before adopting one. (In my town this man was breeding and selling them and the SPCA rescued 33 guinea pigs, wow!) I named him Ekko and he lives in a nice cage with water and hay refilled both morning and night so it's never empty. I've been giving him tiny portions of lettuce since I'm not sure if the breeder gave the piggies lettuce before. He does use the potty and drinks plenty of water, so it's proof he's been eating and drinking.
For the first few days I kept a towel over his cage so he could get used to the cage without being scared of me. I am now almost a week in with him, and he's still deathly afraid of me. I understand they need time to adjust, but will my guinea pig ever adjust? I'm just worried he will never like me. We haven't had any biting incidents yet, he just runs away from you as fast as he can for as long as he can. I've also noticed he makes a high pitched squealing sound whenever I'm not looking at him. (It's not the same as the scared squealing, since I've heard that before :^(( ) Ekko is 8 weeks old (according to the SPCA), here is a picture!

View attachment 108677
View attachment 108676

Hi!

Please take the time to read these guides here. they will help you to understand your piggy and show you how you can interact with him in his own language and in ways that make sense for him. that will go a long way to help you building up trust. Please be aware that piggies from a hoarding/uncontrolled breeding background tend to be on the skittish side as they do not have anything in the way of human interaction and their mother are usually very stressed during pregnancy and the nursing period, which can transmit.
Yours is unfortunately currently feeling totally lost and in fear of his life.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Please note that the maintenance for two guinea pigs does not cost you much more than a single guinea pig and that the minimal space requirements are also pretty much the same. There are no cheap pets, but if you have one, please do your best to get one whose species needs you can fulfill.
I accept that the situation is not your fault because the SSPCA should never have rehomed a baby into a single situation in the first place, breaking the welfare rules they have campaigned for so hard.
https://beta.gov.wales/sites/defaul...1/rabbit-welfare-code-of-practice-summary.pdf (Guinea pigs have the same needs as rabbits when it comes to the five freedoms and the Animal Welfare Act)
Companionship
Cage Size Guide

If you can at all, please get him a same sex friend sooner rather than later; now is the time when he is so dependent on the company and guidance of other piggies!

All these links are part of our New Owners guide collection, which you may find both helpful and interesting.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your little piggy is gorgeous x Hope you can get him a friend soon x

Hi!

Please take the time to read these guides here. they will help you to understand your piggy and show you how you can interact with him in his own language and in ways that make sense for him. that will go a long way to help you building up trust. Please be aware that piggies from a hoarding/uncontrolled breeding background tend to be on the skittish side as they do not have anything in the way of human interaction and their mother are usually very stressed during pregnancy and the nursing period, which can transmit.
Yours is unfortunately currently feeling totally lost and in fear of his life.
Arrival in a home from the perspective of pet shop guinea pigs
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Please note that the maintenance for two guinea pigs does not cost you much more than a single guinea pig and that the minimal space requirements are also pretty much the same. There are no cheap pets, but if you have one, please do your best to get one whose species needs you can fulfill.
I accept that the situation is not your fault because the SSPCA should never have rehomed a baby into a single situation in the first place, breaking the welfare rules they have campaigned for so hard.
https://beta.gov.wales/sites/defaul...1/rabbit-welfare-code-of-practice-summary.pdf (Guinea pigs have the same needs as rabbits when it comes to the five freedoms and the Animal Welfare Act)
Companionship
Cage Size Guide

If you can at all, please get him a same sex friend sooner rather than later; now is the time when he is so dependent on the company and guidance of other piggies!

All these links are part of our New Owners guide collection, which you may find both helpful and interesting.

Thank you! Today I found a friend for my little Ekko and they immediately started cuddling together so I'm hoping things turn out well and he wont be as lonely ! 💞

Young pigs learn from older ones in terms of what is safe to eat etc. What you have to bear in mind is that piggies are prey animals, so they will possibly always run away when you try to pick them up, even if they settle down once you’re holding them.

You should talk to him, as you approach where he is. Try hand feeding and speaking softly. There’s a section here on how to settle them. And the guinea pig whispering section here. It will take time for him to trust you. A week is a very short time to expect much.

When are you likely to be able to get him a friend? Nothing can replace the interaction they have with other piggies so I hope it’s soon. In the meantime all you can do is spend time with him, talking softly to him. If you manage to get him out the cage, give him a treat - parsley or another herb.

I have been taking him out to play and eat special treats, and today I was able to find him a friend and they've been getting along nicely. Thank you so much for the help! 💖

Thank you! Today I found a friend for my little Ekko and they immediately started cuddling together so I'm hoping things turn out well and he wont be as lonely ! 💞

If a bonding starts with instant cuddling, then they will generally get on! :tu:

Wishing you much joy and a great journey into the fascinating world of guinea pig interaction with your two piggies!

PS: Have you double-checked the genders?
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...s-vet-checks-sexing-parasites-illness.160378/

View attachment 108677
View attachment 108676
Edit: 20190315_133442.jpg
Thank you all for the advice! I haven't decided on a name for the second piggy yet but he is also a boy. 💘💘

Edit: View attachment 108951
Thank you all for the advice! I haven't decided on a name for the second piggy yet but he is also a boy. 💘💘

All the best! Things will get a bit trickier when they both reach the teenage months, the hormone spikes and develop their adult identity between 4-14 month of age, but right now they very much want to be with each other. ;)

Your second boy will name himself if you give yourself time to get to know him.

Beautiful. One piece of advise is to make sure that they have plenty of space in terms of cage. Boys can be more territorial so always go one bigger than the suggested size for two piggies. So 150cm at a minimum.

There’s a guide on bonding somewhere if you do a search. Good luck 😊

Awww xx He’s gorgeous and am so pleased you’ve got him a friend! 😍 xx

Enjoy them xx

Awww they are such a handsome pair. Do you mind if I ask how large your cage is as 2 boys need quite a bit of space especially when they hit the teenage hormone phase . 😸

Back