• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dental Advice after Dental Surgery

Natcuz

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi 👋🏻 My pig had dental surgery two weeks ago tomorrow but since then he hasn’t been eating or drinking. He still seems to be interested in food but just sniffs it. He hasn’t gone to his bottle at all since. I’ve been feeding him critical care in the meantime but it’s exhausting and very hard since both me and my partner work full time so struggling to feed him during the day. I’ve been back to the vets who said some pigs take longer than others to recover just looking for some advice and if anyone’s had the same issue? Thanks

If your piggy hasn’t been able to eat in all that time since, then it could suggest that there is still a problem.
A lot of members travel from all over the country to get to a particular vet who has the most piggy dental experience in the UK - Simon at Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton. Is there any way you can get there? He does conscious dentals, and depending on the issue, piggies are often eating the same day due to his expertise.
@furryfriends (TEAS) has most dental experience on the forum.

You are experiencing a very common problem with guinea pigs dentistry, unless it’s been done really well the piggie struggles to eat afterwards. this has happened to me and I have been in the same situation on two separate occasions with two local vets. I travel with my piggie Ted to the Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Simon and Kim are very experienced vets that do conscious dentals so no nasty GA to recover from. If you can get there then I strongly recommend you do, you will see it’s worth it to get your piggie back eating again. people travel from all over the country. No referrals are necessary, a dental cost £60 plus a similar one off registration fee
Good luck x

The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic | Northlands Vets

Ok thanks guys I unfortunately can’t get to Northampton but will bear this in mind in the future just wondering what I can do now to try and speed up his recovery!

Ok thanks guys I unfortunately can’t get to Northampton but will bear this in mind in the future just wondering what I can do now to try and speed up his recovery!

All you can really do is get the vet/another vet to have a look and see if they can clear up remaining issues.

Well you will have to keep syringe feeding him. Will he eat any food? Porridge oats are good for hungry piggies. They can often manage grass and small sticks of food like the beetroot out of a Bistro Salad bags but in the long term if your piggie is not eating properly I.e. hay then his teeth will not be being worn down and whatever the problem was before (I.e. teeth spurs) will quickly grow back again. My Ted never ate properly for 6 weeks and needed hand and syringe feeding, his incisors had been cut too short, along with poor dental work at the back molars and he could not pick any food up at all for a several weeks. He went for one dental with Simon Maddock in Northampton and he came out eating hay, this was the first time in about 3 months from the beginning of the problem. I would ask friends or family if they could get you there if at all possible, it really may save your piggie x

Back