• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice of bullying and separation

Piggiesmalls21

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate some help on what to do with my 2 boars.

So I’m used to them displaying dominance behaviours, we do have one boar who is particularly territorial and bossy. HOWEVER I feel like it’s now become more of a bullying issue. I’ve noticed our dominant piggie goes out of his way to terrorise the other piggie (don’t know if I’m just reading their behaviour from a human stand point).

They can’t walk past eachother in the cage now with out flinching, chattering teeth or high pitched squeals. Dominant piggie will follow his cage mate around and back him into corners and not let him past. He will steal food out of his mouth constantly, just generally distressing the submissive piggie. They have 2 of everything, mountains of space and all hidies have 2 exits. I also allow them to free roam for a big portion of the day to allow them more space but when submissive piggie wants to come out he’s either scared by dominant piggie into not leaving the cage or gets chased and harassed constantly when out.

Recently the submissive piggie was quarantined because he wasn’t well but we kept them in the same cage just separated. I noticed how much his behaviour changed he seemed for the most part a lot more relaxed and confident.

Does anybody know whether I should split them up? They argue round the clock lunging and chattering but they’ve never actually drawn blood. And they can sit by each other every now and then Aslong as they don’t get too close and scare one another.

Would splitting them up be a bad idea?

Sorry for long message thanks in advance xx

Hi Everyone,

I would really appreciate some help on what to do with my 2 boars.

So I’m used to them displaying dominance behaviours, we do have one boar who is particularly territorial and bossy. HOWEVER I feel like it’s now become more of a bullying issue. I’ve noticed our dominant piggie goes out of his way to terrorise the other piggie (don’t know if I’m just reading their behaviour from a human stand point).

They can’t walk past eachother in the cage now with out flinching, chattering teeth or high pitched squeals. Dominant piggie will follow his cage mate around and back him into corners and not let him past. He will steal food out of his mouth constantly, just generally distressing the submissive piggie. They have 2 of everything, mountains of space and all hidies have 2 exits. I also allow them to free roam for a big portion of the day to allow them more space but when submissive piggie wants to come out he’s either scared by dominant piggie into not leaving the cage or gets chased and harassed constantly when out.

Recently the submissive piggie was quarantined because he wasn’t well but we kept them in the same cage just separated. I noticed how much his behaviour changed he seemed for the most part a lot more relaxed and confident.

Does anybody know whether I should split them up? They argue round the clock lunging and chattering but they’ve never actually drawn blood. And they can sit by each other every now and then Aslong as they don’t get too close and scare one another.

Would splitting them up be a bad idea?

Sorry for long message thanks in advance xx

Hi and welcome!

How old are your boys? Teenage does come with distinct phases when huge hormone spikes hit but there are also stages where the hormone output is generally for a few weeks. However relationships can go wrong at any age, if much more rarely.

Any happy piggy bond ultimately relies on the personalities and the unique dynamics between them. Your measures can remove the most common flashpoints for problems but there is no magic measure that change character and outlook.

Please try a trial separation with a divider in the cage and see whether the boar you are worried about is perking up noticeably when away from their mate or not (the other party won't be happy about the separation but that is not relevant in this context). If the result is inconclusive, re-introduce your boar formally on neutral ground outside the cage and have thick oven gloves ready - if the relationship is dysfunctional, it will generally show very quickly. Wait at least two days between separation and re-intro to allow any hormone spikes to die down and tempers to cool or your boys will simply pick up where they left. This period is too short to break a still functional bond.

For the practical details please take the time to read the links below. You should find them very helpful:
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
Bonds In Trouble (any age and gender advice for dysfunctional bonds)
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics (how to conduct a formal bonding; skip the run up)
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Back