• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice please! - Teenage boars

elliemcd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two 9 month old boars. They have always been a pair that since the very start have been a bit bothersome. One is more a trouble maker than others. Unfortunately it’s gotten completely out of hand within a matter of moment. They were chasing each other, rumblestrutting and mounting, like they do usually, but I’ve never seen it so bad. The trouble maker seemed to follow the other around and constantly chase him, to the point where the other was running into things and making terribly uncomforting noises. In the end the one being bullied and chased began trying to fight back. As you can imagine this lead to more hassle. I’ve decided to split their cage in half and let them chill out for the night. The trouble maker won’t settle and keeps trying to get into the other side. The other one seems very chilled out and is happy foraging away, not seeming to care much. WHAT ON EARTH DO I DO? If I put trouble maker back in he goes straight for my other piggy. I’ll also point out that as of yet no blood has been drawn, also they are in roughly a 6x4 foot pen. Any advice would be good.

Update! I’ve had to let them back together as one of the piggies(the trouble maker) decided to start chewing and biting the bars to get back through and even attempt multiple times to jump over the fence! I was terrified that he was going to hurt himself, and so I watched carefully and let him back through. For about an hour they were fine, but then it just seemed to start again:( I’m really unsure what to do.

I would leave it for now but just keep an eye on them. Unfortunately they’re in the midst of their teenage years so this could happen quite frequently until that phase is over. The noises the chased piggy makes are likely submissive noises - they’re not in pain.

As an example, our boys were all fine. Then one day the dominant chased, humped and mounted his cage mate repeatedly and incessantly for at least an hour. There would be breaks of a min or two in between. He was also teeth chattering A LOT! I did worry but they got through it. I think what stopped it is the under piggy taking a swipe at the dominant piggy. I came down later to find a little cut to his lower eye lid.

I’d say just keep an eye on them. Also, do they have two of everything! Bowls, bottles etc.

It’s a harrowing time but hopefully they’ll make it through fine. Good luck and fingers crossed for you.

yeh they have two or more of bowls, water etc

Update! In the morning after finally getting some sleep I’ve cleaned them out like I normally would and then gave them a quick bath to clean up there back end and scent gland, etc. They have had baths since I got them so are almost used to it. By the looks of things they have calmed down a bit. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the help

I have two 9 month old boars. They have always been a pair that since the very start have been a bit bothersome. One is more a trouble maker than others. Unfortunately it’s gotten completely out of hand within a matter of moment. They were chasing each other, rumblestrutting and mounting, like they do usually, but I’ve never seen it so bad. The trouble maker seemed to follow the other around and constantly chase him, to the point where the other was running into things and making terribly uncomforting noises. In the end the one being bullied and chased began trying to fight back. As you can imagine this lead to more hassle. I’ve decided to split their cage in half and let them chill out for the night. The trouble maker won’t settle and keeps trying to get into the other side. The other one seems very chilled out and is happy foraging away, not seeming to care much. WHAT ON EARTH DO I DO? If I put trouble maker back in he goes straight for my other piggy. I’ll also point out that as of yet no blood has been drawn, also they are in roughly a 6x4 foot pen. Any advice would be good.

Hi! Please take the time yo read our teenage boar guides; it contains information on the typical phases (of which your boys are right in the middle of one), tips on how to remove flash points, deal with flares and evaluate whether a bond is still functional or not. It also offers possible options in case of a fall-out or full-on fight.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Please allow the two boys to cool down for a couple of days and then re-introduce on neutral ground (after that time a buddy bath is not necessary). Then you will see pretty quickly whether they still get on or not.

I see this sort of thing with my boys often enough to be OK with it. They can have hormone spikes where they feel they just HAVE to have a go at their cagemate. As long as they're not drawing blood and it calms down eventually, try not to worry too much. I've sometimes had to divide the cage for a few hours just to give the underpig a rest too, and that's often enough. Keep an eye though, as if it's constant bullying, or they have a serious fight, it is time to separate.

Just be aware this might not be the last time, you have to let them fight it out eventually one will submit by letting out a loud squeak when being mounted but as long as no blood is drawn it’s not a good idea to separate. Expect the second hormone surge around 10 months.

Thank you! It’s hard to watch but I understand that getting involved can actually make it worse too. I’ll just make sure I keep a close eye

I also have worries that the one being bullied is not being able to eat and drink as much as of the other constantly at him, and he’s been hiding a lot in one of his houses. The past two days the water hadn’t been drunk as much and their nugget bowls haven’t been empty like they usually are.

I also have worries that the one being bullied is not being able to eat and drink as much as of the other constantly at him, and he’s been hiding a lot in one of his houses. The past two days the water hadn’t been drunk as much and their nugget bowls haven’t been empty like they usually are.
Have a read of the guide, things should have blown over by now but if one is actually being bullied he might be depressed and therefore the bond has failed :( does he run out of the hidey when the other one goes in there, then back in when he vacates it? That is one sign of bullying. I would also weigh them both.

Please read the guide I have linked into my last post. It explains in detail how you check for fights and for bullying and what you can do. I can't repeat the advice in every single post, considering that it takes me days to write a comprehensive practical step-by-step guide.
Here is the link again - it is REALLY worth reading it so you know what to do instead of spending it fretting. ;)

Update! Good news, seemed to have settled down today. Now it’s just the usual bum shaking and what not, the one who was being chased around has come out and seems to be eating and drinking more like usual. I weigh them every week anyway just to monitor them, they’ll be due a weighing tomorrow. Thanks guys! Hopefully if it happens again it’ll calm down quick

View attachment 110386Enjoying some enrichment with a little hay box together! So much changed from a couple of days ago! Must’ve just been a bad spell.

You have a lovely pair of boys.

Please be aware that boars can suffer from these sudden strong hormones spikes well into adulthood.

Aw, they are twins! How can you tell who’s who?
Merry, the one on the left, aka the bully, is smaller and has a crest on his head. Pippin is the one on the right, he is a bit bigger and has more of a dusty nose :)

Back