• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

After much nagging and bullying....

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are so unbelievably gorgeous, especially Dora, for obvious reasons -c I miss my girl so much, I want another Skinny but don't want Gucci to feel I am replacing her :(

Gucci's would want you to be happy hun, do whatever feels right for you :)

I knew very little about skinnys until a few months ago when I tormented a certain someone with them with questions about them. The more photos I saw the more I was persuaded about them. I've held one now and have to say they are absolutley adorable. I loved your pics.

Oh my goodness! Were did you hold one?!

I'm not trying to start anything here but just curious did you rescue your skinnies or buy them? I was told by a person at the pet store that he had a skinny and paid $800 for it =0 Thats insane if thats true! Thats almost double what I paid for my beautiful Chihuahua.

Is it true their skin is oily? I've never touched a hairless animal

Also Mo is beautiful I think I'm in love

Last edited:
Cute piggies, though I think I prefer furries :). There's a rescue in Sweden that sometimes have skinnies for rescue http://www.colina.se/marsvin/ (the two skinnies on the first page are adoptable right now). They ask for a pretty high adoption fee for skinnies, though, approx. £50 for a pair (normal for rescue is about £ 10-20 a pair) which I think is a little odd. I mean, it's one thing if they ask more for a pig they neutered as the rescue had costs for the procedure but skinnys aren't more expensive to keep than furries...

Cute piggies, though I think I prefer furries :). There's a rescue in Sweden that sometimes have skinnies for rescue http://www.colina.se/marsvin/ (the two skinnies on the first page are adoptable right now). They ask for a pretty high adoption fee for skinnies, though, approx. £50 for a pair (normal for rescue is about £ 10-20 a pair) which I think is a little odd. I mean, it's one thing if they ask more for a pig they neutered as the rescue had costs for the procedure but skinnys aren't more expensive to keep than furries...

As I understand it they do eat a lot more than furred piggies to keep themselves warm and they need to be kept warm so aren't suitable for outdoor housing (I will stand corrected of course) and you have to be careful as certain bedding can irritate their skin although that can be said for furries to. I think a higher adoption price would help make people think through their reasons for wanting one instead of just getting one as a novelty, however I could be wrong.

Yep - and also the trouble is they are more expensive than 'normal' piggies to buy... so if the rescue lets them go 'cheap', there's more of a chance unscrupulous people will see them as a cheap source of breeding skinnies.

Sophie
x

The novelty thing is a reason I guess... Noone in Sweden keeps guinea pigs outside anyway so that's not an issue. It says in the adoption rules that you can't breed a rescue but I guess some people don't care about rules... Skinnies aren't very uncommon here. It's not like they are sold in pet shops, but there are heaps of skinny breeders.

I too admit to never hearing of skinnies before seeing photos of Tracy's beautiful Gucci (RIP), but these lot are just so damn cute! They're just crying out to be cuddled! :))

They are lovely to cuddle :) Until you have held a skinny you will never appreciate how warm they are - mini hot water bottles on legs!

After meeting a skinny I can confirm they are just like a hot water bottle (only better) they are gorgeous.

Hairless dogs are just the same lovely skin and toasty warm to snuggle upto:(|) probably why I love both :(|)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back