• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Any advice as to why my boar sheds so much?

Theguineagods

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hiya there, I have 3 boars and they are all abby/Peruvian mix breed. So they all have very long and fluffy hair. My one pig Ares his more on the Abby side with lots of swirls. He is 1 years old and 3 months as of today, ever since he was 4 months old he has shed a lot . I mean ALOT, like a dog! He never gets any bald spots or scratches himself. I've already taken him to the vet were they did a skin scrape and the vet looked all over his fur for a any parasite eggs. They found nothing :/ so at this point I was wondering if anyone else in the community could give me any solution on to minimize his shedding.

My two Abyssinians Alfie and Archie shed A LOT. Especially Alfie who is the older one. I personally think it is a long haired gp thing. Also it could be that it is summer time and he is shedding his winter coat? The only advice i can really give is to start brushing him with a small pet brush twice a week and see if that helps. I do that with my pigs.

Some piggies/breeds just shed more than others.

If you have ruled out skin problems and he appears to be otherwise healthy then it really does sound like he just sheds a lot naturally.

Back