• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bad box of hay

rp1993

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Our hay delivery isn’t great this month, it looked okay at first but as I have delved into it it’s very brown.

I feel like the boys are already not eating it, I given them a hay cookie each this evening and they have both gone made for them!
My question is will the eat it if they are hungry or do I need to order them some more?!

That's a shame. I had some very brown hay recently. I give both meadow and timothy, but I tend to think of timothy as the add on one. When I've got a brown box of meadow, I tend to give extra timothy, so there's a chance they'll eat the meadow, but won't go without. I'm nervous of gut stasis or dental problems so wouldn't just give the brown hay alone.

I would order some more if they already appear to not be eating it. Is any of it green enough for them to eat you think? Sorry.

That's a shame. I had some very brown hay recently. I give both meadow and timothy, but I tend to think of timothy as the add on one. When I've got a brown box of meadow, I tend to give extra timothy, so there's a chance they'll eat the meadow, but won't go without. I'm nervous of gut stasis or dental problems so wouldn't just give the brown hay alone.
They can’t have Timothy because I’m terribly allergic to it! I will have to have a look online for some other meadow hay for them!

I would order some more if they already appear to not be eating it. Is any of it green enough for them to eat you think? Sorry.
Not really that’s what’s frustrating normally the box is a bit mixed but this all seems to be brown, I’ll have a look to see if there is anywhere else I can get some meadow hay for them

After several very brown boxes I complained to the company haybox, and was refunded for the last bad 3. They agreed it wasn't premium hay as advertised.

After several very brown boxes I complained to the company haybox, and was refunded for the last bad 3. They agreed it wasn't premium hay as advertised.
I might drop happy hay co a message on Instagram as they often share our pictures in there, I have ordered them some orchard hay from healthy herby so hopefully it will be better!
BE40E42B-67F3-45D6-8E66-D942258101F6.png

Hope they like the orchard and it arrives quickly. I've switched onto happy hay for my meadow. Hope they don't start having too much brown hay.

Hope they like the orchard and it arrives quickly. I've switched onto happy hay for my meadow. Hope they don't start having too much brown hay.
Happy hay is where this brown box was from I'm hoping it was just an off batch!

I’ve had a nightmare with hay recently with Cleo being so sensitive, the haybox meadow didn’t look great and set her off horrendously (when she had her mouth open gasping a couple of months back :(), soft cut timothy and timothy blend was lovely but made her very sneezy and snotty.
Then ordered the healthy herby orchard hay (saw it on here and pics of reviews and it looked great so maybe I got a bad batch) and it was yellow! No one wanted that one, the porky pair liked the tiny sample of the rye hay they sent but couldn’t even risk madam with it and it was only a handful! That’s what Lolo thought to the 15kgs I’d ordered! 🙄🤦‍♀️
AEC18853-42EB-4F6A-8A9E-29117BA38AA8.jpeg
Thank god the timothyhay.co.uk orchard grass is back, how dare they sell out! XD
Definitely recommend it, we’ve used it for ages and it’s always really lovely and green, fast delivery too (normally next day)! Guaranteed popcorns and zooms round the cage from the boys when that comes!
Hope this Healthy Herby batch is better and the boys approve! 🤞 Hay can be a right pain to buy at times!

I'm sorry to hear that :( If piggies aren't eating it, I'd bin it although it's a waste. I once brought 5 bags of medicated hay (I didn't realise it was medicated when I brought it) and the piggies wouldn't touch it so I ended up throwing it all away. I hope they like the orchid hay you've ordered and the brown hay was a one off

I’ve had a nightmare with hay recently with Cleo being so sensitive, the haybox meadow didn’t look great and set her off horrendously (when she had her mouth open gasping a couple of months back :(), soft cut timothy and timothy blend was lovely but made her very sneezy and snotty.
Then ordered the healthy herby orchard hay (saw it on here and pics of reviews and it looked great so maybe I got a bad batch) and it was yellow! No one wanted that one, the porky pair liked the tiny sample of the rye hay they sent but couldn’t even risk madam with it and it was only a handful! That’s what Lolo thought to the 15kgs I’d ordered! 🙄🤦‍♀️
View attachment 185918
Thank god the timothyhay.co.uk orchard grass is back, how dare they sell out! XD
Definitely recommend it, we’ve used it for ages and it’s always really lovely and green, fast delivery too (normally next day)! Guaranteed popcorns and zooms round the cage from the boys when that comes!
Hope this Healthy Herby batch is better and the boys approve! 🤞 Hay can be a right pain to buy at times!
It’s such a challenge isn’t it you think you find one they like and then this happens! I only ordered 2.5kg from healthy herby hopefully it’s okay! I’ll give Timothy hay.co.U.K. A go for sure and see how they like that!

It’s such a challenge isn’t it you think you find one they like and then this happens! I only ordered 2.5kg from healthy herby hopefully it’s okay! I’ll give Timothy hay.co.U.K. A go for sure and see how they like that!
Hope it’s a nice batch and they like it! 🤞 I love that it’s ladies selling it!
Here’s the timothyhay.co.uk orchard grass, lovely and green! And Cleo-eo can even have hay piles without gasping and needing metacam like with others!
3D45FF88-1433-46F1-A4D6-3CFCDCE6E6CB.jpeg
E1D8B165-1732-473F-BEA9-642ED4108C0D.jpeg
I think Jaspy’s feeling a bit sleepy this morning! :)):))

Hope it’s a nice batch and they like it! 🤞 I love that it’s ladies selling it!
Here’s the timothyhay.co.uk orchard grass, lovely and green! And Cleo-eo can even have hay piles without gasping and needing metacam like with others!
View attachment 185919
View attachment 185920
I think Jaspy’s feeling a bit sleepy this morning! :)):))
That does look lovely! Cleo is just like me, if we have Timothy in for over a week I am the one gasping for my inhaler!

I'm so glad to see Timothyhay.co.uk are doing orchard grass again, when I last looked there wasn't any!

I highly recommend checking out local farmers on Facebook marketplace if you have the space to store a bale, even if broken down into boxes or bags! I got 2 bales at £3.50 each and honestly, I wasnt expecting it to be as lovely as it is. Completely green and smells amazing. Even though I'm allergic I keep sticking my head in the bags and smelling it 🤣

20210915_141734.jpg

Back