• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bald patch under mouth

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Our Fudge has a bald patch under his bottom lip. I noticed it the other day as he was drinking water. I’ve touched the area and he doesn’t squeak or show any signs of pain. It literally looks like a bald patch, no dry skin or scabs or anything like that. Here’s a photo but I couldn’t get a good one. Should I just book him in to the vet?

EE2DC709-F474-4DFE-A46D-252DFAF06557.jpeg

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
If you are at all worried take him to the vet. A vet would rather see a healthy piggy with an anxious owner than an owner with an ill piggy who has left it too late. I take my piggies in for the smallest things and now 2 of the receptionists know my voice on the phone and just ask which of my 5 piggies I need to book in!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ok. I think I’ll make an appointment for Friday unless someone tells me otherwise.

It’s nice they know your voice and your 5 piggies 😊

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Ok. I think I’ll make an appointment for Friday unless someone tells me otherwise.

It's only cos I've been there so much! It is nice to turn up if Penny or Victoria are on reception cos I don't even have to book in they see me and just let the vet know I'm there!

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I always work on the basis of taking them to the vet with any concern.
I’d rather be reassured that there’s nothing to worry about than miss something that could be a potential problem

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That’s my thinking. I only asked in case someone may know what it may be.
It's only cos I've been there so much! It is nice to turn up if Penny or Victoria are on reception cos I don't even have to book in they see me and just let the vet know I'm there!
lucky you 😁

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score

If in doubt, please have your piggy vet checked if in doubt. it could be developing overgrowth of the back teeth or some mechanical abrasion if there is no fungal.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Appointment has been made for Friday morning. What should the check in that case @Wiebke? Just want a rough idea if possible.

Thanks for all the replies

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Appointment has been made for Friday morning. What should the check in that case @Wiebke? Just want a rough idea if possible.

Thanks for all the replies
Have a look at the incisors whether they are neat and even and not slanted, jagged or inwards pointing - that can indicate overgrowing premolars at the back; oral flush (fungal) may also be a consideration, swallowing problems, as well as messy drinking or rubbing the chin somewhere or through overgrooming or being barbered by a colleague trying to pick up the least bit if food etc.
Dental abscesses can cause pain/discomfort long before they become noticeable, as I know from my Hywel.

Sometimes you may never find out, but it worth giving it a try. My Llewelyn had a bald patch on his neck that was neither mites or fungal (he was treated for either to be on the safe side); sometimes the hair would grow back and then he seemed to be barbered down to the skin again... There was no lump and it didn't seem to bother or vex him in any way. :(

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Have a look at the incisors whether they are neat and even and not slanted, jagged or inwards pointing - that can indicate overgrowing premolars at the back; oral flush (fungal) may also be a consideration, swallowing problems, as well as messy drinking or rubbing the chin somewhere or through overgrooming or being barbered by a colleague trying to pick up the least bit if food etc.
Dental abscesses can cause pain/discomfort long before they become noticeable, as I know from my Hywel.

Sometimes you may never find out, but it worth giving it a try. My Llewelyn had a bald patch on his neck that was neither mites or fungal (he was treated for either to be on the safe side); sometimes the hair would grow back and then he seemed to be barbered down to the skin again... There was no lump and it didn't seem to bother or vex him in any way. :(
😳 glad he wasn’t bothered by it but they do make you worry.

There are no problems with swallowing or messy drinking so I’m hoping it’s nothing.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I took Fudge to the vet (who was FAB by the way!). She checked him over and found nothing to be alarmed/worried about or investigate further. Hair is growing back on the bald area (very small area may I add, mere mm). She said he may have just been rubbing his chin on something, else couldn’t think how it became bald.

So I’m just glad he’s fit and healthy. He was a model patient 😁

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
What a relief! You did the right thing if only to give yourself piece of mind. Glad Fudge was a good boy!