• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bb Has A Lump

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I noticed a lump on BB (nearly two years old, of unknown but probably indiscrimate breeding) this afternoon when putting her back in her cage. It's on the right side just in front of her hip, diameter on the her body is about that of a 5p peice. It felt a bit hard but to be honest she is so wriggly it's very hard to tell and I had to put her down before I dropped her/ she jumped. Can't see it under her fur execpt a ripple where I tried to move her fur to see if it was a bite. I couldn't see any broken skin but see above for wrigglyness.

Going to give the vet a call tomorrow before work and see. what they say. Have been dreading a vet visit with her as she bites when she's cross.

I'm going away for two weeks in September then a week in October :-( would hate to have to ask 'Aunty C' and my OH to do medication, if needed.

I hope it's just a fatty lump. Worried.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Don't worry about her biting the vet, one of mine is a bit bitey sometimes but he has only ever bitten me when at the vet! :lol!:

Paws crossed it is just a fatty lump, so you can get on and enjoy your holidays xx

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Don't worry about her biting the vet, one of mine is a bit bitey sometimes but he has only ever bitten me when at the vet! :lol!:
It's me I'm worried about!

Yes, hoping it's not anything more sinister

Fingers crossed. It could be a sebeacous cyst. That might not need treatment. My elderly boy went years before his burst and needed cleaning

Rang the vet at 840 this morning and they had an appointment at 9! Cue me racing upstairs to catch the girls (who'd just been given breakfast) and whisked them off!

Vet thinks it's just a cyst. She shaved a little patch and took two samples to look at under the microscope and will call me if it's anything other than a cyst. I am impatiently waiting. For the phone *not* to ring!

Got to give the site a little bathe this evening with a saline solution and just generally keep an eye on it.

BB was sooo well behaved! She didn't bite anyone - not even the towel! And she didn't even feel like she wanted to. Not a peep was heard when she was shaved or when the needle went in. So proud of her.

Fingers crossed the vet doesn't call me back!

Vet hasn't called me back and they shut in 10mins so I think we're in the clear and it's a cyst. :D I've got to bath the site in saline solution whilst it heals from the needle pricks. She was very well behaved this afternoon and I copied the way the nurse wrapped her up it the towel!

Do you know what came out when they pricked it. Was it white thick cheesy stuff on the needle or blood? the white cheesy stuff (seriously glad I wasn't a cottage cheese fan as I definitely wouldn't be able to eat it now :))) is usually a sebaceous cyst and the only other lump my late Peter had tested came out with blood on it and was a harmless fatty lump.

No blood, just thick white stuff :-) she was pretty sure it was just cyst material but microscope confirmed. Happy piggy mummy

No blood, just thick white stuff :-) she was pretty sure it was just cyst material but microscope confirmed. Happy piggy mummy

Yep thats definitely a cyst. My Pete had his for years and it didn't really get any bigger. It was on his back/side so just left it be but it popped when he was 6.5 years and with all his other lumps and his old age we decided just to clean it the best we could and keep an eye out to make sure no infection got inside. They are pretty grim if they go but it never caused him any discomfort

I hope it's a good long while before that happens! Her's sounds like it's in the same sort of position and the only bother it's causing her is all the handling she's getting because of it!

One of my boars had a sebaceous cyst for years. It never bothered him and we left it alone for a long time. If it burst we gave it a clean. It did get to about 1cm in size eventually so we had it removed by the vet.

Want to know something gross @Lady Kelly ? As his skin was black, the "pus" was grey. nice eh ?! :vom:

One of my boars had a sebaceous cyst for years. It never bothered him and we left it alone for a long time. If it burst we gave it a clean. It did get to about 1cm in size eventually so we had it removed by the vet.

Want to know something gross @Lady Kelly ? As his skin was black, the "pus" was grey. nice eh ?! :vom:

Omg that's go grim! I was obviously lucky as Pete had black and white skin and while it was on a line it obviously started under the white skin

Pleased it is nothing sinister.

Back