• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Beans Has Became Very Aggressive

Try not to over think it in human terms. Older sows can be unpredictable. There’s no black or white and no rule book. You just have to give it a go as Wiebke has suggested.
I know, but I have such severe anxiety I can't help but overthink it all. Beans is very distressed now too that she's apart from Maple, she hasn't stop screeching. I think I'm in for a long night!

I know, but I have such severe anxiety I can't help but overthink it all. Beans is very distressed now too that she's apart from Maple, she hasn't stop screeching. I think I'm in for a long night!

It is normal for a piggy going overboard to not be aware what the impact on the companion is. At least it means that Beans is not likely to refuse to rebond when Maple goes back. ;)

Oh dear poor Beans. Hoping she calms soon. I know how much of a little rascal maple can be. She’s had a few nips from the other girls in her time. So she is tougher than she looks.

Oh dear poor Beans. Hoping she calms soon. I know how much of a little rascal maple can be. She’s had a few nips from the other girls in her time. So she is tougher than she looks.
Oh she's definitely got no fear that's for sure! She did hold her own against Beans being aggressive but after a couple of days she just looks so stressed. We'll see how it goes in the morning :doh:

Oh no poor beans and maple. From what I see with Biscuit pain does make them act oddly. I hope you sort it all out and some time apart is all they need.

So Beans has lost around 30-40g.
She isn't interested in eating hay or nuggets because she's too preoccupied with Maple. When I offer nuggets shes eat one then runs away. I've put them together in the hall while I clean out the cage but Beans is just rumbling everywhere and chasing Maple, she won't just relax to eat some hay or lie down. Maple doesn't seem as stressed with it but Beans hasn't really calmed down. What the hell is going on? :hmm:

Remind me but did Beans have her ovaries removed during her spay? If they were left in then that would account for her behaviour. If they were removed & the spay was recent, I think it takes a few months before the hormones dissipate x

Remind me but did Beans have her ovaries removed during her spay? If they were left in then that would account for her behaviour. If they were removed & the spay was recent, I think it takes a few months before the hormones dissipate x
No the ovaries were removed. It was last year so could it be that? She is just constantly, and I mean constantly chasing her and trying to sniff her bum/mount her it's so strange all of a sudden x

That's a long time ago then :( Sounds more like a testosterone spike like Wiebke said. All you can do is give them a few hours time out to give them a rest, maybe some floor time separately to give Maple a chance to eat, usually it subsides after a couple of days. Anything can trigger it, maybe a different smell. Did it happen after a clean out? x

That's a long time ago then :( Sounds more like a testosterone spike like Wiebke said. All you can do is give them a few hours time out to give them a rest, maybe some floor time separately to give Maple a chance to eat, usually it subsides after a couple of days. Anything can trigger it, maybe a different smell. Did it happen after a clean out? x
What causes a testosterone spike?

I honestly can't think of what could have caused it. Started slowly on Friday then she just got more and more aggressive. It's like Beans doesn't want to let Maple out of her sight. X

I am not sure, it's a male hormone, sounds like she is having a surge lol :D I wonder if next time you clean them out, leave a bit of fleece or bedding they have used in there, if she can smell herself & Maple then maybe she will not feel the need to re establish who is top piggy if she feels insecure x

I forgot to update this after the vet visit. The vet doesn't think it's due to pain as it isn't constant, he thinks it's Maple coming into season that's causing Beans to become aggressive. And this morning has confirmed it - Beans has became very aggressive, chasing and trying to mount Maple. It's 19 days since she last did this so it's Maples season causing it.

Question is, apart from spaying Maple, what can I do, if anything, to stop it?

Beans has been spayed last year but the vet was saying although she's been spayed, it's just learned behaviour to chase/mount etc when she knows another pig is in season... surely I can't keep separating them every few weeks?

Oh no. Sorry to hear this. I would be interested to find out the outcome.

What a time you are having still. I had hoped that she would have calmed down by now,

What a time you are having still. I had hoped that she would have calmed down by now,
She did calm down once Maple was out of season And they were fine again. But now that Maple is in season again it's started back up :(

Is that a valid enough reason to have Maple spayed though? I mean it's not her causing the trouble, I'd never forgive myself if something happened to Maple during the spay.. And surely separating then every couple of weeks isn't good for them either:hmm:

Has anyone ever heard of this or been in this situation?

Is that a valid enough reason to have Maple spayed though? I mean it's not her causing the trouble, I'd never forgive myself if something happened to Maple during the spay.. And surely separating then every couple of weeks isn't good for them either:hmm:

Has anyone ever heard of this or been in this situation?
I know, it’s really a quandary. Having never been through this I can only guess I’m afraid. X

Maple is quite young isn't she? Someone said about Binky that her seasons should settle and become less strong as she gets older now (1) I don't know if that is bunkum and (2) its Binky causing the chaos not the others but I wonder if Maples seasons are strong and tht is what is causing it?

Also the hormone injections for cysts do they suppress seasons?

Back