Behaviour Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicola McGregor

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello

Recently one of my eldest Guinea Pigs (3 Years) has had a change in behaviour. Her name is Honey and she is a very sociable Guinea Pig. When we first got her she had some very clingy behaviour to the eldest Guinea Pig (Izzy) she was housed with. She followed her and would cry without her (we wrote a post about this behaviour and the answers were that she was dropped at a young age or taken away to early from her mother). The other Guinea Pig (Noodles) she was bought with wasn't like this. Honey was like this with Izzy until Izzy had to be put down. She was completely fine after she died though and so was Noodles.

After a while we decided to get two new Guinea Pigs called Millie and Lily. This was because Honey was very active and social where Noodles preferred to relax and has suffered from cystitis since we bought her (No medicine has helped her and vet doesn't know what to do). Honey was a bit grumpy with them but soon warmed up to them. Now Millie and Lily are a year and a half old and Honey has gotten very bad recently. In the hutch for the past few months we have notice her purring, walking low to the ground (like a tiger or cheetah for prey) and chasing Millie, Lily and Noodles. She makes them cry and run away. She gets up in their faces and makes them stretch their necks high. Honey will sit in one of the hutch rooms doorway and will not let them in and hit them away. Today she climbed on Lily's back and sat on it upsetting her. She has even started purring and walking low to the ground outside of the hutch when we gave them all cardboard boxes.

We have cleaned out the hutch to get rid of the scent but this has been going on for a few months. I don't know what to do.

Thank you.

eileen

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
It maybe that she needs to see the vet,if there is a medical reason for this change inbehaviour.sometimes sows can get cysts on there ovaries.i am unable to give any advice,due to a vet needs to examine Honey.I do hope you can get honey well,:)

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Having had sows with ovarian cysts I recognise some of the behaviour you are describing. I think it would be worth getting the vet to check her over.

Status
Not open for further replies.