• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Best Cages For Bad Backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thethreeboars

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! So I am new here, we have three boar rescues, about 3/4 years old now.
I am going to university in September therefore leaving my mother to look after my guinea pigs, however she suffers from a bad back. Through winter they are usually in an indoor C&C run, and through the summer they are usually in a hutch with a large run - at the moment neither of these setups are suitable for my mum to clean them out, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Ideally she would be able to clean the cage out without bending down, however I know this is unlikely! I was thinking possibly a shed or wendy house but I'm still pretty new when it comes to guinea pigs!

Mine are in a cage up on the dining room table due to having two dogs.

2dl0ufc.jpg

I have a REALLY bad back. i use a garden stool to get into the fridge, the bottom cupboards, occasionally for gardening and.......... for cleaning the piggies out,

Could she find anything similar that she can sit on whilst cleaning the cages?

I suppose it would be better if they were on a table - but that would really dominate the half of the living room they are in. A gardening stool works for me - all over the house!

I had mine on our dining room table ( we never sat there as we sat in the kitchen ) it was normal height but then i found i was struggling to reach the corners of the c&c cage so we chopped the legs down a bit and that was much better.. i have to bend a bit but not half as bad as having them on the floor..

Mine are on a table like @flowerfairy since I started getting a bad back last year, I still had to stoop a little bit too much to reach back corner so we put an old door on top of the table, the extra 2 inches in height makes a difference. I think you are right, it's going to be trial and error to get the right height for your Mum.

One thing that I have found ever so useful for reaching into the far corner and back of cage is this;

HDX Microfiber Ceiling Fan Duster-6053-20 - The Home Depot

I got mine in the UK. It is a tiny bit different to this. It certainly excells at sweeping up any stray poos and bits of hay.

I also use it to gently herd Jingle towards me when she flees to the far corner of the cage!

Some excellent ideas in this thread. My c and c runs have a wooden base made by my OH and they then sit on top of some old tables. The height is just about right and no kneeling or bending is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back