• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Betsy's Guinea Pigs

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Weighed my lot for the first time yesterday since 19 Dec. Considering they are outside piggies and it's been quite cold (even though I provide fleece snugglies, snugglesafes and loads of hay), I am quite happy with their weights apart from Velvet's. Christian put on 10g and is now a very healthy 1132g, Dennis managed a 5g weight gain and is now 998g, Betsy lost a little at 9g and now weighs in at 1195g, Meg lost 20g and is now 1100g and Velvet lost 62g from 1123g to 1062g have just reweighed her and she now weighs 1053g. I will keep on monitoring her weight daily for a week or so and if she continues to lose it I'll take her to the vet.

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
Must be piggy weigh-in catch-up day! Hope Velvet is ok! Theo says she can have his extra tummy weight if she likes, he's started to lose his balance sometimes jumping on the carrot cottage roof because his rear end weighs a lot more than he remembers it doing a few months ago- actually he weighs 630g more than the first time he ever jumped on top of a carrot cottage roof back in June so clearly he needs to make some adjustments!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
How’s Velvet’s weight today?
If she wasn’t a guinea pig I’d recommend chocolate
Haven't had a chance to weigh her today as we went out early and just got back in time to chuck some veg in their general direction before it got dark when of course I remembered I hadn't weighed her!:doh: Will have to weigh her tomorrow afternoon around 3-4ish as this is weigh-in time.

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Velvet has haypoke now. I have an appt at the vet this afternoon for 3.15 and I'll mention to the vet that she's been losing weight and ask him to give her a thorough check over at the same time. :)

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
love the piggy pictures. Wonderful to see Christian looking so well.
Fingers crossed Velvet is ok, I hate it when they loss weight.xx
Yes it was touch and go with Christian in May last year but he bounced back with the expertise of the vet and my care.

I hate it too when the lose weight as you don't know what's wrong. Last night she was tucking into veg just like normal.

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
Poor Velvet hope her eye is ok and the vet can shed some light on her weight loss!
Piggies are so much trouble, even this week when mine are all chubby and healthy we need 6 piggy pedicures from the vet nurse... they are worth all the fuss and expense though :)

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Velvet has a nasty ulcer in her eye. 5-7 day course of Isathal eyedrops and her eye should be back to normal. No clues on the weight loss. Mark (head vet) gave Velvet a very thorough check and couldn't find anything obviously amiss but said if she kept on losing weight over the next week or so they would look into it in more detail.