• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bit Of A Rant....

Gemm24

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

I have 6 beautiful guinea pigs and they are practically my life. I am constantly buying them toys/treats, taking photos of them, cuddling them, playing with them. I love them so much! I am currently building and sewing them some hammocks and hammock holders.

Unfortunately some of my family do not understand the love I have for my piggies. I always get the same condescending look when I mention them as if I have strange habit and I should hide away or be embarrassed by it which makes me feel awful. Or even worse they make fun of me because “it’s only a guinea pig, why are you spending so much time or money on them” etc- bah! how many times have I heard that one. I want to shout at them and say “don’t ever say ONLY a guinea ever again” but they will think I am even more strange if I start arguing.

I need the courage the next time it happens to say I AM A PROUD GUINEA PIG MUM TO 6 BEAUTIFUL PIGGIES AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, GO AWAY!

Sorry this is a bit of a rant but I just need the confidence to stand up and be proud of my gorgeous guinea pigs.

I'm totally with you! My reply is normally "well they're more interesting than people" to friends/family or to people I'm not that close to it's "they're more intelligent than most people" :))

I've heard it about all my animals, some people just don't get it. Whereas I don't understand not caring about animals, I genuinely can't imagine a version of myself that doesn't care about the creatures around me whether they be a Great Dane or a common garden ant.

My colleagues at work bought me a mug that I think sums it up for me. It has a picture of a child with a red X through it and a green piggy and reads "GUINEA PIGS ARE CHEAPER THAN KIDS". I don't understand why people have children but I wouldn't be all "Eurgh why did you buy it new clothes, it's only a child". Although I would think it :))

Hi!

I have 6 beautiful guinea pigs and they are practically my life. I am constantly buying them toys/treats, taking photos of them, cuddling them, playing with them. I love them so much! I am currently building and sewing them some hammocks and hammock holders.

Unfortunately some of my family do not understand the love I have for my piggies. I always get the same condescending look when I mention them as if I have strange habit and I should hide away or be embarrassed by it which makes me feel awful. Or even worse they make fun of me because “it’s only a guinea pig, why are you spending so much time or money on them” etc- bah! how many times have I heard that one. I want to shout at them and say “don’t ever say ONLY a guinea ever again” but they will think I am even more strange if I start arguing.

I need the courage the next time it happens to say I AM A PROUD GUINEA PIG MUM TO 6 BEAUTIFUL PIGGIES AND IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, GO AWAY!

Sorry this is a bit of a rant but I just need the confidence to stand up and be proud of my gorgeous guinea pigs.
I know what you mean.People don’t understand why we love these little creatures and even my family think I’m a bit tapped which makes me very mad.I hate people who judge.Its not nice to be made to feel like a weirdo.Thats why I love this forum, you can chat to people who don’t judge and all share the same interest x

02EDF426-9A33-4896-B53E-9A0B47EC5D8C.jpeg Just wear this shirt Lol! My family thinks I’m nuts too. I unknowingly bought a pregnant guinea pig, so now we have 5 instead of 2. My mom is insisting I find the two boys a new home, but I’m pretty sure I am keeping them! My 5 year old daughter understands my obsession and I am teaching her in the ways of crazy guinea pig people!

My reply would be even though I wouldn't mean it whatever animal they have dog cat or even if they have children you could say something along the lines of well I don't like children or I don't like dogs or I don't like cats but you don't see me complaining about your animals so don't complain about mine LOL.... my family looks at me too like that and I just got my 2 literally 2 months ago and do everything for them! Lol but I don't care. . I also noticed when I post something on Facebook hardly anyone likes my post but if it was a dog you know everyone would I don't know why everyone considers them rodents they act more like dogs then cats do! It is so annoying ..... we should be friends lol u can add me on Facebook norahsmom

Or I make people feel really bad because I can't have any more children I have one daughter and had a horrible traumatic surgery where they stole my uterus for no reason so I play that card I will say something along the lines of well I can't have children and these are my children how dare you say that if you think I'm crazy I don't care

I know what you mean.People don’t understand why we love these little creatures and even my family think I’m a bit tapped which makes me very mad.I hate people who judge.Its not nice to be made to feel like a weirdo.Thats why I love this forum, you can chat to people who don’t judge and all share the same interest x
We hear that too! Like, don't waist your money at a vet, it's just a pig! Hate people!

My OH thinks the piggies are cute but that's as far as it goes. He just won't let them in. If it was a "proper" pet like a dog it would be completely different. He has even admitted this. He doesn't really want anything to do with them. In my opinion Guinea Pigs are lovely pets they talk to you and are interesting to watch and great to interact with. He just doesn't understand.

It's awful when people think we are being daft. Thankfully my family and friends know how much all my pets mean to me and they are all part of our larger family. I do still get some people though telling me it's 'just a guinea pig'. So infuriating! They'd go mad if I said 'It's just a kid'.

My husband is amazing. I hope it's ok to say this, I'm just thankful because my parents would not have got it at all, but my husband is the kind of person who will tell me the pigs are entirely my responsibility.... and then wake up in the middle of a cold night and ask me if I put extra hay in the hutch. (If I'm fast asleep he'll go and put some in to make sure.) Or when shopping he'll remind me to get their favourite veg. In fact 5 mins ago my daughter asked me, "dad says is it dry enough for the pigs to go on the grass?" But I think the ground is still too cold, though they can have some time in their big outdoor hutch today.

My OH thinks the piggies are cute but that's as far as it goes. He just won't let them in. If it was a "proper" pet like a dog it would be completely different. He has even admitted this. He doesn't really want anything to do with them. In my opinion Guinea Pigs are lovely pets they talk to you and are interesting to watch and great to interact with. He just doesn't understand.
Mine either. Hubby says their cute and helps me buy supplies and built their cage but leaves all the affection for me to give.... He sometimes calls them hamsters, rodents, or gerbils because he knows that I don't consider them rodents and despise people calling them any name besides guinea pig, skinny pig, piggy, or cavys. I've even showed him articles where scientists have said that they are more like other species than a rodent... Anyhow I know for a fact he does love them deep down inside he just doesn't want to admit it he's one of those Trump supporters LOL

My dad is a bit like this, he just doesn’t get it. He never allowed them to live inside when I was a child (we did have two dogs that would eat them as well) and thinks I’m nuts for having them indoors with the argument ‘they have fur coats’ but I counter with ‘would you let Pebble live outside? She has a fur coat’ to which the answer is No. (Pebble is my brother’s jackrussel who doesn’t like being cold. My brother lives in an annex on dads house and the dog shares their garden and is often in their side of the house!) Tortunately, I couldn’t give a monkey what other people think of my pets or my state of mind for keeping them the way I do. I think they’re bonkers for having children but I keep quite about it because it’s none of my business!

I was looked upon a bit weird and why have you got a guniea pig about nearly 4 years ago I had a lone male piggie Pedro. Long story why i had him which I have covered on this forum.
my friends and family thought I was going strange etc.
Don't they smell. What's the point. Oh I've heard it all. So I turn the table on some. One friend got his kids a pug puppy for £1200 and now after new carpet and year after puppy is adult. I ask him how's the dog. lol. He would swop. lol.
When Pedro died I was gutted and very upset :no: that's when people realised how much he ment to me.
Now we have 3 girls and get asked how are the piggies Dave. lol. xx:clap:

I get this all the time, luckily I'm too old to worry about what people think. Love me love my piggys, yes my house probably does smell but I don't smell it. Dogs smell, cats smell people have them in their homes. I could go on holiday if I didn't have the piggys. I've never been that keen on holidays, they are just an expensive set of photos when you get home!

I get this all the time, luckily I'm too old to worry about what people think. Love me love my piggys, yes my house probably does smell but I don't smell it. Dogs smell, cats smell people have them in their homes. I could go on holiday if I didn't have the piggys. I've never been that keen on holidays, they are just an expensive set of photos when you get home!
After the amount of years Ive had guineas now, people don't bother with me about it, they know I'm potty about pigs. Thankfully I have this lovely forum to share my passion with and that quells the outpouring I need to show my love.

Thank goodness for the forum.
We are Aliens. :lol!:

I really don’t care if people think I’m crazy because I love my piggies and spoil them.

Actually I don’t care care if people think I’m crazy for any reason- that’s their problem.

I love this forum because this the one place I can talk piggy and people engage with each other because we all love being slaves to our wonderful piggies.

Back