Biting baby guinea pig

Sashaj_

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I hope someone can give me some advice. I have a 13 week old Peruvian sow. I’ve had her for just over a month end she’s always been very hyperactive (even when I bought her home she was climbing the cage like a spider pig) Over the last 2 weeks she’s started frequently nipping (she’s drawn blood on one occasion) I just put it down to her being a baby and perseverance keep handling her and rewarding her afterwards.

Tonight I got her out and she’s actively jumping around trying to bite when I’m not even touching her and if I touch her she goes wild. I tried to introduce brushing as soon as I got her but she’s always gone crazy. She’s been health checked and nothing on clinical exam. I’ve had baby Guineas before and they’ve never been like this. I also bought a texel pig from the same breeder and she’s a little nippy but nothing like her.
I just wondered if anyone had seen this behaviour before or had any advice?

Thank you in advance

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You may also have to consider that she doesn’t like being handled.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I would also ask if she has been seen by an experienced guinea pig vet.
You say a clinical exam didn't reveal any problems - what exactly did they do.
Things like mange mites can be extremely painful and are not always visible with a simple physical exam.
When our boar had them even a skin scraping came back negative, but our vet decided to treat him anyway as he was clearly in extremest discomfort being touched.