• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Blind Guinea Pigs Do Fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Lover

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Cookie became blind in one eye recently and she has been doing grand. The first few days she was a bit wobbly and she fell off the side of her ramp but now she is zooming up and down the ramp. She also jumps up on top of her log cabin sometimes and she always sticks her head out the side of her cage whenever I open the door expecting food or expecting to be tickled behind her ears or something along those lines! She knows exactly where everything is all the time.
I would love to know how a fully blind guinea pig copes if you have or know any?

My first guinea pig, Chestnut, had problems with his vision too but never trouble getting around.

They are good at adapting I guess. Plus if you keep everything in the same spot all the time (which I'd recommend for a blind pig), then they learn where it is.

Yeah. I have been able to move around her house a little bit because she can see out of one eye.

My little Wilma is blind as a bat but given she's 7ish she is also very slow. I don't make her find vegetables she is hand fed in the cage. She thinks all vegetables come from the heavens and sticks her head up in the sky as high as it'll go which is always very amusing. Amazingly if I move her piglo she can always find the entrance. I imagine she uses her whiskers. I have my suspicions that my other pig is also going blind but thankfully he has a good friend to look after him as little Wilma has been blind for years.

I would say she is a lot slower but quite convinced that is not just her eyes as she is getting on so may have arthritis also.

Megan (RIP) our special needs piggie was blind. Due to some horrific neglect she only had one eye and was blind in that one. She managed just fine. She needed everything placed in the same place in her cage and when some where new would walk the perimeter slowly to get her bearings. She worked well with smelling and always managed to find my slippers to pooh in when free ranging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back