• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blind pig needs help

Alicepets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Any ideas on what kind of injury like a hay poke or a scratch from his brothers ether way the vets should help whether it’s an injury or something that Is deeper I just hate that I’m being forced to wait as I’m worried that it will get worse or something will happen to him to soon I am also worried that the vets won’t like him when we get there as he screams a lot when being handled which we are trying to work on as they are all very skittish unfortunately

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Any ideas on what kind of injury like a hay poke or a scratch from his brothers ether way the vets should help whether it’s an injury or something that Is deeper I just hate that I’m being forced to wait as I’m worried that it will get worse or something will happen to him to soon I am also worried that the vets won’t like him when we get there as he screams a lot when being handled which we are trying to work on as they are all very skittish unfortunately
An eye injury like that should heal nicely with the eye drops that your vet will prescribe but it is important not to leave it too long. Eye injuries are commonly caused by hay pokes.

Any good vet won't hate an animal and will just want to treat them. A piggy of mine used to scream the vets down when she had her nails cut

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
That won't upset the vet. Just give them a heads up that he's a screamer. Mind you I did that with Lily and she went out her way to make me look like a liar :))

Alicepets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys some news on the vets we sent them a message explaining and they got back to us saying it’s not worth going😒 WHAT!! They said if he is eating he is fine.....and not to take him in so kinda good I guess just a bit odd also we had to message them to book in a visit so I guess we can’t go now? Idk ether way I looked at his eye today and whatever it is seems to be on the inside if that makes any sense his eye is almost normal it’s just got a tiny bit more of a blue tint then when it was noramal so I guess he is ok it’s night now so can’t do much any way but he does seem to still be blind however I haven’t had to much time with him today so he might be better vision wise as well. P.s I couldn’t spend time with them as I had philosophical therapy and hat to burry my rat diago 🙁😔

Claire W

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I’m sorry but no vet should turn an animal away :( is there another vet you could try? I once had a pig with a blue rim but once the vet put the orange dye in to his eye, it revealed a corneal ulcer so he was prescribed eye drops. You also need to know for sure whether it’s an eye injury or a cataract

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I cannot believe a vet would say don’t bother.
Sounds as if they may not have given Teddy the attention he needs.
I suggest you find a vet who will treat your boy with care and respect. He needs the eye seeing to by a vet.

Alicepets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sadly that is the only good vets near us as the other one almost killed my dog and got her pregnant then banned US from going so we can’t do anything about it sadly.I will continue to post on hear as at least I have you guys although you lot aren’t a vet. would any eye drops help at all or not or anything you guys know as I don’t think he will get his vision back I hope it’s just something he has had all of his life or something like that

Alicepets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don’t know what to do anymore as each time i try to go through a metaphorical door it feels like it gets slammed in my face if that makes sense

Alicepets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They won’t we already tried. his eye looks almost normal now I will keep you updated sorry

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Not your fault - you tried.

Where do you live?
The vet locator at the top shows recommendations for UK vets.
Guinealynx has recommended vets in the US but I'm not sure about the rest of the world.
If you tell us where you live there may well be other forum members who can help with a vet.