• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloat in two guinea pigs?

samji

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here are my earlier posts No poops (but eating, drinking..)

Good news is, since getting Jack a friend (Leo) through speed dating, he has vastly improved. Exotic vet didn't think it was anything contagious.

However, Leo has now got bloat and isn't pooing, loss of appetite, not himself. Leo is about 14 months, un neuteured boar.

I am going out of my mind with this. Could it be something contagious? Leo has been gradually moved onto a grain free pellet (I've had him just over a week now) and has been given fresh veg and some fruit. None of the veg and fruit are bloat inducing. Both have unlimited good quality timothy hay, with a small amount of botanical hay added (Oxbow brand).

No poo for over 12 hours, but he is eating and drinking somewhat. I'm very nervous about going to the exotic vet as snow is forecast and it can be very bad where I live. Booked in later but may have to cancel with snow and the local vets do not have guinea pig knowledge.

So far, I've given a small dose of metoclopramide and zantac. Also massaged him and put him on a vibrating cushion for a bit this morning.

I feel so defeated. Is anyone aware of anything contagious that it could be?

Sorry to hear this. Bloat isn't contagious but could be from some food they have eaten.

Good idea on the metoclopramide and zantac that is the way to go along with massaging, we had a bloaty piggy the used to bloat after certain food. We had to keep a food diary to work out her triggers. Her triggers used to be food that wasn't known for bloat Coriander was one....

Any poo yet?

When piggies have bloat I withhold all greenstuff and veg. Feed only pellets and hay. If you need urgent advice please call the vets and speak to them or one of their exotics nurses about starting Zantac and metoclopramideand the correct dosage to use.

Thank you for your advice. We're going shortly to the vets.

I think you're right. If they have any new veg, they only have small amounts. Little gem/round lettuce, carrot, parsley, cherry tomato with no green, very small amounts of plum (very small) and one or two blueberries. Bell pepper used to be Jack's favourite but I think that may have triggered his initial bloat so that is off the menu sadly.

Minefield this!

Back