• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Blood in guinea pig pee?

Myselfsimply

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’m super worried for my guinea pig! She is eating and drinking fine, not lethargic but ive been hearing her stomach make noises lately like she has a tummy ache or like she’s passing gas. She has had the case of a wet bum for a while but didn’t think too much of it but right now she peed a little on the clear flooring and I see her pee is like light red! Is this blood? Could she have a UTI? (I did feed her spinach and different leafy greens yesterday not normally what I give her. I read online that it might make the pee look a different color) I’m still super concerned though cause I have heard her stomach noises for a couple weeks!

Attachments

• 5BE6C9E7-785C-405C-8DC9-1E931ADDF6BB.jpeg
    5BE6C9E7-785C-405C-8DC9-1E931ADDF6BB.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 9
That does look like blood, rather than normal oxidation, but I can't be certain. The best thing would be to get her to a vet ASAP for diagnosis and treatment. I hope she's okay 💕

Hi, I’m super worried for my guinea pig! She is eating and drinking fine, not lethargic but ive been hearing her stomach make noises lately like she has a tummy ache or like she’s passing gas. She has had the case of a wet bum for a while but didn’t think too much of it but right now she peed a little on the clear flooring and I see her pee is like light red! Is this blood? Could she have a UTI? (I did feed her spinach and different leafy greens yesterday not normally what I give her. I read online that it might make the pee look a different color) I’m still super concerned though cause I have heard her stomach noises for a couple weeks!

Hi

Please have her checked for the potential start of a urinary tract infection or cystitis in the coming days during regular opening hours; these kind of infections generally take several days to become consistent in their symptoms and more easily to diagnose for a vet. Please do not panic.

Discolouration from veg is generally orange or (in the case of beetroot) really strongly pink or purple but never red.
The red pees that are characteristic for the onset of a urinary tract issue are typically coloured with a natural dye called porphyrine; the urine may test or may not test for blood (I've had both with piggies of mine in the very early stages). Seemingly clear urine can however test high in blood.

Nearest appointment the vet gave me for her is in four days, I’m so worried. I really hope her symptoms don’t take a turn for the worst, she seems to be fine right now.
Hi

Please have her checked for the potential start of a urinary tract infection or cystitis in the coming days during regular opening hours; these kind of infections generally take several days to become consistent in their symptoms and more easily to diagnose for a vet. Please do not panic.

Discolouration from veg is generally orange or (in the case of beetroot) really strongly pink or purple but never red.
The red pees that are characteristic for the onset of a urinary tract issue are typically coloured with a natural dye called porphyrine; the urine may test or may not test for blood (I've had both with piggies of mine in the very early stages). Seemingly clear urine can however test high in blood.

Nearest appointment the vet gave me for her is in four days, I’m so worried. I really hope her symptoms don’t take a turn for the worst, she seems to be fine right now.

Please take a deep breath - it takes about 5-7 days before a UTI or cystitis gets fully going. Your piggy should hold until then. ;)

Please take a deep breath - it takes about 5-7 days before a UTI or cystitis gets fully going. Your piggy should hold until then. ;)
Is it normal that my guinea pig isn’t peeing that color pee for having a UTI? Does it like come and go? Because she only peed that color in the afternoon yesterday but hasn’t peed like that all day today. I’m still taking her to the vet but I was wondering if that was normal for a UTI?

Is it normal that my guinea pig isn’t peeing that color pee for having a UTI? Does it like come and go? Because she only peed that color in the afternoon yesterday but hasn’t peed like that all day today. I’m still taking her to the vet but I was wondering if that was normal for a UTI?
It is normal for the onset to have a mix of red and clear pees (either can be free of actual blood in the urine or test high for it). If it is a URI or cystitis, then it takes a few days to get really going.

But it is good to have your piggy checked as to whether it is an infection or whether it is from a stone or sludge. We can only ever guess.

I would get her checked over by a vet ASAP

Boss pig has threatened to call the sspca on me when I have clearly stated in previous posts . I am not abandoning my piggies for 4 days . I am trying to organise care for them

Boss pig has threatened to call the sspca on me when I have clearly stated in previous posts . I am not abandoning my piggies for 4 days . I am trying to organise care for them

You keep asking for advice and getting frustrated at the answer.

You are getting your neighbour in for your piggies. That is fine, to leave them for four days would not be. The matter is closed.

You keep asking for advice and getting frustrated at the answer.

You are getting your neighbour in for your piggies. That is fine, to leave them for four days would not be. The matter is closed.

I'm not getting frustrated at the answer? I’m sorry if that comment wasn’t for me but I’m just trying to get every possible opinion as to my piggies condition. Her appointment has not changed. She is going in as soon as they have the specific vet for exotic pets in. There’s nothing much I can do about that. (Btw I wasn’t the one who made the comment about sspca? That was guineapiglover..)

I'm not getting frustrated at the answer? I’m sorry if that comment wasn’t for me but I’m just trying to get every possible opinion as to my piggies condition. Her appointment has not changed. She is going in as soon as they have the specific vet for exotic pets in. There’s nothing much I can do about that. (Btw I wasn’t the one who made the comment about sspca? That was guineapiglover..)

Unfortunately another member made an unrelated comment on your thread and the subsequent posts were in relation to that.

I hope your piggy feels better soon

I was not directing this at yourself. There is another unrelated comment on the thread. You will notice I quoted the member I was replying to.. on forums a quote then a reply indicates who you are commenting back to.

I hope your piggy gets well soon

Back