• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Bloody mucus, help!

Emilybxx22

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
My 4 year old female guinea pig had soft poops that turned into diarrhea over about 4 days. Her stomach was also rumbling quite often and loudly. We took her to the vets and they said she may have picked something up and gave us fibreplex we gave her one dose of it yesterday and i was giving her the second dose of today when i noticed she was pooping mucus. It has a few very small red streaks in it but is mainly clear. Shes produced a couple of blobs if this. Is this a side effect of the diarrhea or the medication or does she have something else wrong with her? I want to taker her back to the vets tomorrow but my family want to wait and see if it stops. Any ideas what could have caused it?

Hi
My 4 year old female guinea pig had soft poops that turned into diarrhea over about 4 days. Her stomach was also rumbling quite often and loudly. We took her to the vets and they said she may have picked something up and gave us fibreplex we gave her one dose of it yesterday and i was giving her the second dose of today when i noticed she was pooping mucus. It has a few very small red streaks in it but is mainly clear. Shes produced a couple of blobs if this. Is this a side effect of the diarrhea or the medication or does she have something else wrong with her? I want to taker her back to the vets tomorrow but my family want to wait and see if it stops. Any ideas what could have caused it?
The blood and mucus are likely to be part of the infection causing the diarrhoea.
How is she in herself? Does she seem well. Is she eating?
I certainly would contact the vets as she may need extra treatment such as antibiotics and pain relief. Avoid feeding her fresh vegetables, just hay and pellets. If she doesn't want to eat syringe feed her with critical care or other recovery food or just her mushed up pellets. If you have another healthy piggy put some of their pooh into the syringe feed to replace the healthy gut bacteria. Make sure she drinks plenty of water as well.

Ahhh ok :)
Shes not quite herself but shes still reasonably normal, shes eating slightly less greens in the morning than usual but i offered her some grass which she stuffed down. Ill giver her some more hay and dry food and take her to the vets tomorrow.
I feel so much less worried now thank you!

I fully agree with @pig in the city 's advice. Please always take any piggy with diarrhea off fresh food until 48 hours after the poos have firmed up and normalised.
Weigh daily at the same time in order to monitor the food intake and step in with syringe feeding recovery formula if possible or mushed up pellets in an emergency (as long as you cut off the syringe tip and plunger as shown in the syringe feeding guide) if the weight loss is more than 50g in a day or in less than a week. Over 80% of the daily food intake is hay, which you cannot monitor by eye. Just watching a piggy nibbling on a little veg can be VERY deceiving!
It is important to help rebalance the gut with fibrous food (ideally hay based) and to keep the fluid levels up with diarrhea (your vet will check for that and if necessary give a subcutane injection of fluid), but you can help a little by adding dioralyte (UK) / Pedialyte (US) from a pharmacy to the water you are offering via syringe. Needle-free 1 ml syringes are also available from a pharmacy.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Administering Medications And Syringe Feed
First Aid Kit For Guinea Pigs

See a vet promptly ideally within a day during regular opening hours if the poos are fluid (i.e. proper diarrhea and just soft poos) or if there is any blood.
See a vet as an any time of the day or night life or death emergency if the diarrhea is very dark, very stinky and watery and your guinea pig is off its food and dehydrating very quickly.
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide

Thank you everyone :)
We took her to the vet and she checked her out. She has lost a little bit of weight but the vet said it wasnt enough to worry about. The vet said the mucus might be her system clearing the infection and to keep and eye on it. We we told to weigh her every day, continue with the medicine and if she has anymore mucus to go back.
She seemed more herself today so fingers crossed :)

Back