• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Blue Eyed Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat1

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I was just doing some research on the forum when I come across a sticky thread that talked about guinea pig eyes. It said how there can be dark, red, ruby, and blue eyes. This caught me by surprise because I actually had never known that guinea pigs could have blue eyes. It said that is it very rare. So I took my piggies out for playtime when I realized that my guinea pig, Dipper, had a bluish grayish tint in his eyes. Am I dreaming? They had always looked dark to me but now that I see it it might be true.

I've never seen a blue eyed guinea pig before, usually white or light guinea pigs have red or ruby eyes. It's hard to tell from your photo but the only reason I know of for grey/white/bluish opaque areas in the centre of the eyes is cataracts but that is also hard to tell from your picture....

Sorry I can't be more help than that!

Sasspy one of our piggies has one blue eye!

I,m sure l had a pig many years ago that had one dark blue eye and one lighter colerd
His nick name if l am not mistaken was "bowy" after that silly pop singer of the 70s

I think it usually comes with white markings, like the white Overo gene in horses? I could be wrong there though, because pigs are nothing like horses hehe!

:hmm:Two things spring 2 mind, they are both poo machines, and thy can be stoborn ,
I had an arab gelding (oliy) that was sooooo tempremental , l swear he knew what l was thinking , :bronco:he was so tempremental the feuea had to tweek his nose to get shoes on him

Wow that was a wile ago

I had a blue eyed guinea pig. He had one red and one stunning blue eye.

My piggy Peaches has one blue eye and it is beautiful!

I've never seen a blue eyed guinea pig before, usually white or light guinea pigs have red or ruby eyes. It's hard to tell from your photo but the only reason I know of for grey/white/bluish opaque areas in the centre of the eyes is cataracts but that is also hard to tell from your picture....

Sorry I can't be more help than that!

Sasspy one of our piggies has one blue eye!

I,m sure l had a pig many years ago that had one dark blue eye and one lighter colerd
His nick name if l am not mistaken was "bowy" after that silly pop singer of the 70s

I think it usually comes with white markings, like the white Overo gene in horses? I could be wrong there though, because pigs are nothing like horses hehe!

:hmm:Two things spring 2 mind, they are both poo machines, and thy can be stoborn ,
I had an arab gelding (oliy) that was sooooo tempremental , l swear he knew what l was thinking , :bronco:he was so tempremental the feuea had to tweek his nose to get shoes on him

Wow that was a wile ago

I had a blue eyed guinea pig. He had one red and one stunning blue eye.

My piggy Peaches has one blue eye and it is beautiful!
Wow! I guess blue-eyed piggies are more common than I thought! From all of the pictures I see online of pigs with blue eyes, most to almost all of them are white. Like Simon'n'Joe said, maybe it's just a gene that only piggies with a white fur coloring have. I am pretty sure that my piggie has one blue eye and one dark eye, and he is a white fur coloring.

My Corey who had the blue eyes was white but also with other colours too. He wasn't all white.

4-3.png

Yet this is his other side of him

2-3.png

My Peep has very blue eye "whites", but her actual iris is dark.

Here's a pic of his other side; I am pretty sure that this eye isn't blue and only the other one is:
image.jpg

Yes, Peep's eyes are exactly the same as Dipper's blue eye! Her sister's eyes are both like the other eye of Dipper's; no blue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back