• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boar Mammary Tumour Post-Op

YodaVaderBinks

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

Binks is a 3.5year old boar who had 2 mammary tumors removed 3 days ago. He's eating veggies non-stop, isn't very fussed about the pellets (his usual feed) but will pick + choose what he likes from the meusli mix. Usually only use the mix when we run out of pellets as this is available from our local shop. I put some in when I noticed the lack of pellet eating.

Aside from being fussy with his eating, which isn't too unusual, we have noticed he isn't drinking at all. Usually he goes through about a 1/4 of his bottle each day. I've changed the water, put in a different style bottle as well as his normal one + I've tried switching with his brothers (who lives separately) but still no interest. I'm not sure what else to do, he appears to be eating/pooping as normal but the lack of water is starting to concern me. We go in for a post-op check tomorrow so I will ask about this, just wondering if anyone had any advice for me to try tonight.

Is he eating a normal amount? And is he on any pain relief? It could be that he's getting enough water through his veggies or it could be that he's still in a little pain from his operation and needs a few more days to right himself

Is he peeing? If not that is serious and he should go to the emergency vet asap. Was he drinking after the op and has stopped recently or has he not been drinking at all? If you are worried you could start syringe feeding him if he is not eating and drinking normally.

Hello!

Binks is a 3.5year old boar who had 2 mammary tumors removed 3 days ago. He's eating veggies non-stop, isn't very fussed about the pellets (his usual feed) but will pick + choose what he likes from the meusli mix. Usually only use the mix when we run out of pellets as this is available from our local shop. I put some in when I noticed the lack of pellet eating.

Aside from being fussy with his eating, which isn't too unusual, we have noticed he isn't drinking at all. Usually he goes through about a 1/4 of his bottle each day. I've changed the water, put in a different style bottle as well as his normal one + I've tried switching with his brothers (who lives separately) but still no interest. I'm not sure what else to do, he appears to be eating/pooping as normal but the lack of water is starting to concern me. We go in for a post-op check tomorrow so I will ask about this, just wondering if anyone had any advice for me to try tonight.

Hi and welcome!
Please weigh your boy daily at the same time; that is very important at this stage, instead of once weekly. What most people don't realise is the over 80% of the daily food intake is actually unlimited hay. A carefully balanced veg mix should only make about 10% and 1 tablespoon of pellets about 5% or less. You can't control the hay intake just by eye. By only looking at his veg and his pellet intake, you are missing the largest food source. If your boy is eating a lot of veg and not much dry food, he won't have the need to drink.

Please take the time to read these guides and step in with offering syringe feed top-up as necessary. it is a good sign that your boy is eating and not completely off his food, you may need to support more feed fibre as needed. In an emergency you can use mushed up pellets, but you need to cut off the syringe tip as shown in the syringe feeding guide to allow fibre to pass through.
Tips For Post-operative Care

Complete Syringe Feeding Guide (includes amounts and any support products)
Administering Medications And Syringe Feed
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
All About Drinking And Bottles

All the best for a good recovery!

Is he eating a normal amount? And is he on any pain relief? It could be that he's getting enough water through his veggies or it could be that he's still in a little pain from his operation and needs a few more days to right himself

He isn't really eating any less than normal. The vet said was eating cucumber 5 minutes after he woke up from surgery which is a good sign + is happy to be fed veggies of any sort.

He's currently on 0.43ml of pain relief a day, no other medication.

I'm not sure if it is the veggies, he's been getting a little more than normal because I'm soft + think he deserves extra treats until he's better! Though he's most interested in leafy greens at the moment, not fussed for pepper or cucumber.

Hi and welcome!
Please weigh your boy daily at the same time; that is very important at this stage, instead of once weekly. What most people don't realise is the over 80% of the daily food intake is actually unlimited hay. A carefully balanced veg mix should only make about 10% and 1 tablespoon of pellets about 5% or less. You can't control the hay intake just by eye. By only looking at his veg and his pellet intake, you are missing the largest food source. If your boy is eating a lot of veg and not much dry food, he won't have the need to drink.

Please take the time to read these guides and step in with offering syringe feed top-up as necessary. it is a good sign that your boy is eating and not completely off his food, you may need to support more feed fibre as needed. In an emergency you can use mushed up pellets, but you need to cut off the syringe tip as shown in the syringe feeding guide to allow fibre to pass through.
Tips For Post-operative Care

Complete Syringe Feeding Guide (includes amounts and any support products)
Administering Medications And Syringe Feed
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
All About Drinking And Bottles

All the best for a good recovery!

Thank you!
He is certainly eating his hay quota as normal. I fill his bowl in the morning + top it up in the afternoon + evening. He's a greedy boy when it comes to hay so it's constantly being refilled!

He isn't really eating any less than normal. The vet said was eating cucumber 5 minutes after he woke up from surgery which is a good sign + is happy to be fed veggies of any sort.

He's currently on 0.43ml of pain relief a day, no other medication.

I'm not sure if it is the veggies, he's been getting a little more than normal because I'm soft + think he deserves extra treats until he's better! Though he's most interested in leafy greens at the moment, not fussed for pepper or cucumber.

If you are feeding more veg than normal, especially watery veg like cucumber, then he is getting more than enough fluid. A piggy is not getting any thirstier just because he is getting his drink in a different way. ;)
Please weigh him as the majority of his food intake is not controllable by eye! Hay is the mainstay.

The weighing is also important to catch any potential complications as quickly as they come up during a post-op recovery. Infections and operation area abscesses typically happen in the first couple of weeks after the operation.

Back