• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Boar Neuter - Sherbet's Story

Muffin&Crumble

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm just doing this post as a bit of therapy for myself, so apologies for going on and probably boring you all!

We rescued Sherbet in June this year after our little girl's sister died - we thought she would get on better with a boy rather than another girl. After a little while we decided to take Sherbet for the dreaded snip. He came round fine from the op and was eating, moving around normally etc in no time at all. After a few days we noticed a lump on the left side of his groin - we took him back to the vet twice but were told both times it was 'normal swelling'.

Fast forward a week or so more, and I came home from work to a foul smell in the living room (where the pigs live). One look at Sherbie's undercarriage showed that the 'swelling' was anything but - it had burst and pus (sorry!) was pouring out. We rushed him straight to the vet, where they syringed out what they could and started the Metacam / Baytril cocktail. We took him back every other day, but after a while it was decided he needed another anaesthetic to scoop out all the infection.

When he came back, he was so depressed and quiet for ages - added to this was the fact that he was clearly irritated in that area as he'd nibbled his winky (again, sorry!) until it was bleeding. However, after a couple of weeks the lump and the sore winky were healed and he was back to his old cheeky self.

Which brings me to today, and now the same lump has appeared on the opposite side of his groin. Back to the vets, back under anaesthetic and back on the drugs - this time Metacam / Enrobactin (never heard of the latter). I also have to keep the wound open to let the lump drain, which is breaking my heart as I keep having to pick the scab off and I'm scared I'm hurting him. Sherbie is such a trooper, he is eating as normal and pooping for Britain, but very quiet as you can imagine.

I feel like the worst piggy mum in the world - Sherbie must hate me and wish I'd never brought him home I guess I'm reaching out to you all I'm the hope someone will tell me it gets better!

So very sorry that you have had to deal with this. Its not your fault, its unfortunately a common complication of boar neutering, especially if the vet is not terribly experienced in this procedure. I have looked after many piggies who have had this complication and most of them make a full recovery, so hang in there.
P.s.it is important to keep the wound open so that it heals from the base. I usually syringe dilute hibiscrub into the wound and then instill manuka honey (from the vet) to aid healing

I am very sorry that the abscess saga continues. It is gutting when you stumble from one post-neutering op complication to the next. Not YOUR fault! Abscesses are not at all uncommon, but they can depend on how experienced your vet is.

Have you been asked to flush the abscess with a mild disinfectant and not just leave it open for as long as possible? Unfortunately, while the task is unpleasant for both of you, keeping an abscess open for as long as possible is vital. Abscesses heal from the inside out, which means that any spec of infection that doesn't come out can start a new abscess again.

I haven't heard of enrobactin, either. The active ingredient in baytril is called enroflaxacin, so I strongly assume that it a form of that, but you can aways ring up the clinic and ask for confirmation. If you struggle, your vet may consider another stronger antibiotic. Zithromax can often cut through abscesses where baytril can't but you will have to sign a consent form as it is not a licensed drug for guinea pigs (as so many that are used these days by piggy savvy vets aren't).

Thanks both. I haven't been asked to flush it, just keep it open as much as possible. I'm really struggling with this though, it seems to heal and scab over within minutes. Is it right to keep picking a scab?

You're right about the new drug, it has the same active ingredient as Baytril. The leaflet says it's made specifically for rabbits, rodents and lizards (and I have all three!) I've had a look on Google and it looks like it was only launched a few months ago, and apparently tastes of caramel - I shall let you know what Sherbie makes of it tomorrow!

Thanks both. I haven't been asked to flush it, just keep it open as much as possible. I'm really struggling with this though, it seems to heal and scab over within minutes. Is it right to keep picking a scab?

You're right about the new drug, it has the same active ingredient as Baytril. The leaflet says it's made specifically for rabbits, rodents and lizards (and I have all three!) I've had a look on Google and it looks like it was only launched a few months ago, and apparently tastes of caramel - I shall let you know what Sherbie makes of it tomorrow!

Yes, you need to be tough and pick the scab twice daily.

Enrobactin does not go down well at all It also needs to be diluted - 1 part medicine to 4 parts liquid. I used water this morning but will try with some juice this evening and see how we get on!

Aww bless him! It isn't your fault. Sadly it's just one of the risks of surgery. He has a very good mum who will see him well. Sending lots of healing vibes!

Back