• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonded pair fighting

Tucker&Wilbur

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, about eight months ago I adopted two pigs from a shelter. They are two male piggies about a year old at adoption and were already bonded. I could tell from their interactions that one pig, Tucker, was the dominant pig. Although lately Wilbur the other pig is starting to fight and assert dominance over tucker. Because of this they have been fighting which they never did in the past. Tucker has been scratched on his back and nose and I’m not sure what could be done. As I watch them I see them rumbling at each other and chase each other but also they are sometimes just fine. I wonder if Wilbur could be in pain or something because I’m not sure why a change like this could happen. They have a large c&c cage and multiple houses. The only thing I could think of is that he could be stressed because I recently moved them home and then back to my apartment (but they’ve had the same set up the whole time just a long car ride). Let my know if you have any info that could help. Thanks

Hello

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear you are having issues.

How large is the cage?

Hi everyone, about eight months ago I adopted two pigs from a shelter. They are two male piggies about a year old at adoption and were already bonded. I could tell from their interactions that one pig, Tucker, was the dominant pig. Although lately Wilbur the other pig is starting to fight and assert dominance over tucker. Because of this they have been fighting which they never did in the past. Tucker has been scratched on his back and nose and I’m not sure what could be done. As I watch them I see them rumbling at each other and chase each other but also they are sometimes just fine. I wonder if Wilbur could be in pain or something because I’m not sure why a change like this could happen. They have a large c&c cage and multiple houses. The only thing I could think of is that he could be stressed because I recently moved them home and then back to my apartment (but they’ve had the same set up the whole time just a long car ride). Let my know if you have any info that could help. Thanks

Hi and welcome

Changes of environment/cage can trigger a renewal of the hierarchy establishment in all piggy groups and can lead to fights and fall-outs in adult boar pairs.
Always use dirty bedding when shifting over and rubbing down the 'new' cage and hideys in order to make their new/old home smell familiar and to minimise this risk.

Please read this guide here. it talks you through all the aspects and our various options. Hopefully your boys will settle back together again and once they have cooled down. Please follow the tips. they are backed up by our long term experiences with boars on the brink.
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

As wiebke has said a change in environment can cause this.
Also, not having enough space will cause it. In theory your cage is big enough but boys tend to need more room than sows. My two boys were originally in a 2x4 c&c but I had to increase it (they are in a 4x4 c&c with an upstairs area).

Any change in environment can upset the dynamics between piggies. To be honest your cage is possibly a little on the small side. 2x 5 ground floor is the recommended size for 2adult boars. The loft doesn’t count towards floor space. The bigger the better where boars are concerned. Have you got 2 of everything? And if any thing is causing trouble remove it. I would also go back to having houses with 2 exits. That way while things are a bit unsettled no one can get trapped. Good luck.

Back