• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Bonding a 6 month old Boar with with two 3 week old Boars

WombleandBear

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Womble recently gave Birth to two little boys. They will be 2 weeks old on Thursday. For obvious reasons they can't stay with Womble, so they'll have to live with their dad, Bear. Bear is a teenage boy and whilst he misses company I'm not sure how he'll feel about two baby pigs. So far he seems very 'Meh' about the pups and they don't seem to irritate him. He had to be separated from Womble (which caused him a lot of stress) so is currently living alone, so part of me thinks he might appreciate some company (and some sons to reign over)

I'm just wondering if the process for bonding pigs at this age is different?

The process is no different, neutral area etc.

the arrangement of the babies living with him may only be a temporary one though. He should be fine with them while they are little (and it is important for them while they are little to have an older piggy to learn from) But Keeping three boars together is very tricky and once those babies hit their teens, bear will still be in his teens so there may well be issues that crop up that mean future separation is a real possibility. The best long term solution would be to have bear neutered and bond him back in with womble and to have the two babies live together.

The process is no different, neutral area etc.

the arrangement of the babies living with him may only be a temporary one though. He should be fine with them while they are little (and it is important for them while they are little to have an older piggy to learn from) But Keeping three boars together is very tricky and once those babies hit their teens, bear will still be in his teens so there may well be issues that crop up that mean future separation is a real possibility. The best long term solution would be to have bear neutered and bond him back in with womble and to have the two babies live together.
The plan for the future is for Bear and Womble to live together again once Bear is neutered. They've always got on and they just miss each other. The issue is at the moment due to lockdown the vets only take emergencies, so It might be difficult to get him neutered anytime soon. My mum thinks its worth at least talking to the vet but I think it's unlikely they'll do anything at the moment.

That’s great you’ve for a future plan for them. A large cage for the two babies boars is essential as they will both be hitting their hormonal teens at the same time so plenty of space to have lessen effects is essential
It is definitely worth a chat with the vet regarding neutering, as you said, they may not do it at present but you never know. He will of course still require his six week wait afterwards.

My guinea pig Womble recently gave Birth to two little boys. They will be 2 weeks old on Thursday. For obvious reasons they can't stay with Womble, so they'll have to live with their dad, Bear. Bear is a teenage boy and whilst he misses company I'm not sure how he'll feel about two baby pigs. So far he seems very 'Meh' about the pups and they don't seem to irritate him. He had to be separated from Womble (which caused him a lot of stress) so is currently living alone, so part of me thinks he might appreciate some company (and some sons to reign over)

I'm just wondering if the process for bonding pigs at this age is different?

Hi!

I agree with what @Piggies&buns has said in terms of potential teenage issues. However, by that time you will know which two boars get on best for a long term stable boar pair.

Anyway, when hormones kick in, the testicles are already descending and the odd one out boy is old enough for the snip to live with Womble - whether that is Bear or one of his sons (I would strongly recommend to keep your options open in that respect!)
But keeping the two boys with dad during the 'school weeks' until teenage gives them the guidance and adult figure that they are desperately looking for at this age to help them master their environment and the finer points of social interaction.
Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Please take the time look at the pictures, videos and texts in our very detailed and comprehensive bonding guide, which takes you through all stages of the complex bonding process including chapters and videos on boar bonding and baby bonding.
You should find the guide very helpful: Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics

Back