Box Of Pebbles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Recently someone showed me a Facebook post from one of the piggy pages where someone had used a tray full of pebbles and such.

Apparently they use it like a litter tray and it's natural enrichment for them? So I was curious if it was actually beneficial.

Has anyone ever heard/done this?

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would be scared incase they hurt their legs while walking through the pebbles. I've never heard of it before.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
They're quite big pebbles not like gravel, they just kinda walk on the top of them?

Julie M

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would be scared incase they broke a leg.

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I was going to put some in my cage. Mainly to keep the edges down on my fleece & also for the piggies to play with, jumping over them. Knowing my lazy lot they would go round them.
I wouldnt fancy them as a litter tray, think of all that Pooh over the stones that you'd have to clean off.
:lol!:

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I was going to put some in my cage. Mainly to keep the edges down on my fleece & also for the piggies to play with, jumping over them. Knowing my lazy lot they would go round them.
I wouldnt fancy them as a litter tray, think of all that Pooh over the stones that you'd have to clean off.
:lol!:
Yea the picture I saw on Facebook (annoyingly I can't find it now, typical!) showed all the poops in there so I wondered if it was a thing now :))

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine get the occasional medium sized flat stone popped into their cage for something different, but in all honesty they seem a bit ambivalent about them.
Eddi was initially curious, but he licked it and then lost interest.
I wouldn't use a tray of them as those fragile little legs could easily get caught if they slipped, or were just being generally clumsy.
Knowing my lot one, of them would have a popcorning fit on top of the stones and break a leg.

Beans&Toast

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Mine get the occasional medium sized flat stone popped into their cage for something different, but in all honesty they seem a bit ambivalent about them.
Eddi was initially curious, but he licked it and then lost interest.
I wouldn't use a tray of them as those fragile little legs could easily get caught if they slipped, or were just being generally clumsy.
Knowing my lot one, of them would have a popcorning fit on top of the stones and break a leg.
I pictured Eddi licking the stone and thinking to himself "nope. That's definitely not a blueberry" and walking away :P

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Yea I wondered if they'd even care? I've got some old stone chopping boards that people have given me that I'll be putting in their cage to help keep them cool so I guess they won't need anything else.

Poor Eddi, he probably DID think it was a giant blueberry :))

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like a fad going around some of the facebook groups, I wouldn't be using them at all, worry about delicate legs or trying to gnaw them (Chickpea would try this as she is an imbecile :)) ) Some people are claiming that it potty trains them, I think they may be a little deluded. Pigs will poo when and where they like... You will always get more poo in hay because they spend so much time eating in it.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Seems like a fad going around some of the facebook groups, I wouldn't be using them at all, worry about delicate legs or trying to gnaw them (Chickpea would try this as she is an imbecile :)) ) Some people are claiming that it potty trains them, I think they may be a little deluded. Pigs will poo when and where they like... You will always get more poo in hay because they spend so much time eating in it.
Haha bless your cotton socks Chickpea, Bella is an imbecile too :))

Yep wondered if it was a fad, hadn't heard of it before so I'll guess it'll die down soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.