• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Box Of Pebbles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Recently someone showed me a Facebook post from one of the piggy pages where someone had used a tray full of pebbles and such.

Apparently they use it like a litter tray and it's natural enrichment for them? So I was curious if it was actually beneficial.

Has anyone ever heard/done this?

I would be scared incase they hurt their legs while walking through the pebbles. I've never heard of it before.

They're quite big pebbles not like gravel, they just kinda walk on the top of them?

I would be scared incase they broke a leg.

Funnily enough, I was going to put some in my cage. Mainly to keep the edges down on my fleece & also for the piggies to play with, jumping over them. Knowing my lazy lot they would go round them.
I wouldnt fancy them as a litter tray, think of all that Pooh over the stones that you'd have to clean off.
:lol!:

Funnily enough, I was going to put some in my cage. Mainly to keep the edges down on my fleece & also for the piggies to play with, jumping over them. Knowing my lazy lot they would go round them.
I wouldnt fancy them as a litter tray, think of all that Pooh over the stones that you'd have to clean off.
:lol!:

Yea the picture I saw on Facebook (annoyingly I can't find it now, typical!) showed all the poops in there so I wondered if it was a thing now :))

Mine get the occasional medium sized flat stone popped into their cage for something different, but in all honesty they seem a bit ambivalent about them.
Eddi was initially curious, but he licked it and then lost interest.
I wouldn't use a tray of them as those fragile little legs could easily get caught if they slipped, or were just being generally clumsy.
Knowing my lot one, of them would have a popcorning fit on top of the stones and break a leg.

Mine get the occasional medium sized flat stone popped into their cage for something different, but in all honesty they seem a bit ambivalent about them.
Eddi was initially curious, but he licked it and then lost interest.
I wouldn't use a tray of them as those fragile little legs could easily get caught if they slipped, or were just being generally clumsy.
Knowing my lot one, of them would have a popcorning fit on top of the stones and break a leg.
I pictured Eddi licking the stone and thinking to himself "nope. That's definitely not a blueberry" and walking away :P

Yea I wondered if they'd even care? I've got some old stone chopping boards that people have given me that I'll be putting in their cage to help keep them cool so I guess they won't need anything else.

Poor Eddi, he probably DID think it was a giant blueberry :))

Seems like a fad going around some of the facebook groups, I wouldn't be using them at all, worry about delicate legs or trying to gnaw them (Chickpea would try this as she is an imbecile :)) ) Some people are claiming that it potty trains them, I think they may be a little deluded. Pigs will poo when and where they like... You will always get more poo in hay because they spend so much time eating in it.

Seems like a fad going around some of the facebook groups, I wouldn't be using them at all, worry about delicate legs or trying to gnaw them (Chickpea would try this as she is an imbecile :)) ) Some people are claiming that it potty trains them, I think they may be a little deluded. Pigs will poo when and where they like... You will always get more poo in hay because they spend so much time eating in it.

Haha bless your cotton socks Chickpea, Bella is an imbecile too :))

Yep wondered if it was a fad, hadn't heard of it before so I'll guess it'll die down soon!

@sport_billy @Cavy Kung-Fu add Comet to that list, he falls over his own legs popcorning. I'd hate to see what he'd manage with a bed full of pebbles...because they'd both try making a bed out of it. Then there's the worry if they managed to eat it and a stone shattered or something. Eh...maybe not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back