Cage Layout

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
layout.webp This is my current layout. Looking through everyone else's setup, it seems more common to put the hay in a tray/box or something similar. How often do you top it up? I'm worried about them not having enough hay particularly through the night. There'll be some hay sacks made as I'm considering moving to fleece bedding so wouldn't want hay everywhere. TIA.

I tope up their hay two or three times a day and give fresh grass. Quite a bit of hay gets chucked out as theyblikento poo and wee as they eat. Theybdo make cute tunnels in thenhay trays aww.

2hybifa.jpg

you have a fabulous set up,a cat litter tray with bedding and hay on top helps to keep hay from getting on the fleece.the tray usually means they do alot of poops and wee in it.change the hay twice aday is my routine.x

The hay bags will be better when you get them as you find you don't waste as much, although they get so excited if they have a big pile to rummage through! I have mine in racks for ease of cleaning.

Mine pull a lot of the hay out the bags into the tray below. I top up the hay bags 2-3 times a day. The last top up is before I go to bed, that way they don't run out of fresh hay overnight. They always have loads in the trays but it's usually soiled and gets binned every morning.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm considering moving to fleece bedding so hay bags would work.

Not to be rude, or I'm sincerely sorry if this is not a full picture of your cage.
But your cage is way, way too small.

It does look very small from that angle, like maybe a 80cm or 100cm cage but I'm sure I read on another thread it's a 120cm? Unless I'm thinking of another user.

It's not rude @3 Musketeers and @Eileen's Mum the cage is 120. Maybe the angle made it look small, I don't know. I know I'll have to go bigger, just have to figure out how and where. (Indoor) space is at a premium I'm afraid.

IMG_3491.webp I made a quick hay bag and bought a tin to use as the litter tray underneath. They were quick to eat out the hay bag so I'm happy. There was a tiny bit of popcorning!

They seem to like the corner cozy so I may make another two but smaller so they fit on that side of the cage. I also want to add a mezzanine. Fudge has climbed onto the wooden hide twice now that I've seen.

Back