• Issues with online booking at The Cat & Rabbit Clinic in Northampton. Read more here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Cage Size for 3 Sows

MintyChocolate

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi, I currently have 2 sows in a 2x4 c&c cage. My friend recently lost all but one of her guinea pigs and she asked if i would be interested in taking her last one in so that she is not alone. Looking online i found that 2x4 is the minimum for 3 sows, however a 2x5 is strongly recommended. My 2x4 barely fits as is and i have no way of expanding, i suppose i could get a loft which might add some room but that is about it. Do you think it would be ok to house 3 in a 2x4?
If its any help i have attached a picture of the cage

Attachments

Siikibam

Junior Guinea Pig
I think it would be a bit of a tight fit by the time you add the houses/hideys etc. Unfortunately they need the required space on one floor, adding a loft would add room but not to the bottom floor space - they like room to do zoomies 😁

Is there nowhere else in the house you could build the 2x5? If not I think it’s best you maybe don’t take her on? More experienced people will be able to answer you though, that’s more my opinion mixed in with what others have said.
PS could you not turn the cage so the 2 grids are parallel to the heater then expand that way?

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Please see our cage guide here Cage Size Guide for the minimum UK/us recommendation cage size. You will need to expand to a 2x5 for 3 piggies. Perhaps look at whether a 3x4 would work better in the space you have

MintyChocolate

Junior Guinea Pig
Thank you! I feared as much :( i might be able to buy a 3x4 in the future but not right now. Hopefully my friend will be able to find a nice home for her piggie or at least get some new friends for her.