• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Can A Male And Femal Cohabitants Without Mating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

06coopers

New Born Pup
Reaction score
3 months ago I bought Cooper my first Guinea, he was about 4 months old. I've been wanting to get him a friend and I finally found a good one but she is a female. I fell in love with her why I why I got her. When I introduced them I noticed Cooper trying to mate with the new one.

I really don't want baby piggies anytime soon, and quite frankly I don't wanna watch my Guinea pigs getting on while I'm watching tv. Is there a way to discourage coopers desire to mate? Or should I cut my loses and put the new girl up for adoption?

(The red one is Cooper, the other is the new female)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

Male and female piggies cannot live together without mating/breeding. It's basic biology. The only way to prevent mating and babies is to keep different sexes apart or to ensure one has been neutered. Frankly it's a little late now to think that you don't want babies.

There is a strong likelihood that your sow is pregnant. If you decide to put her up for adoption you MUST tell whoever adopts her that she is almost certainly pregnant. If you decide to keep her you will need to ensure she comes through pregnancy safely. And separate your male from her before birth so that he does not impregnate her again. You will then need to separate at the appropriate time any male babies to prevent future pregnancies. You will need to have a long term plan for your piggies.

I'm tagging @Wiebke for pregnancy care and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back