• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Can Guinea Pigs Be Too Fat?

TheLottiediarys

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Can Guinea Pigs be over weight?
If so, How fat is too fat?

How can you tell? Is it by looking? By fat distribution?

Ive been looking at my boy Bear just lately and he seems quite big? Hes very fat, basically haha. I dont think hes too fat or bloated or anything, hes just a very chunky Piggie.

But maybe I'm spending so much time with the new girls who are just a year old, and therefore slimmer?

When do Guinea pigs reach their full weight? If that makes sense, I guess what i mean is when do they reach 'Adult' weight/body mass, Because obviously younger GP look different to older GP,.

I see a lot of people talking about Their GP weights and it really various, so whats a healthy weight/looking guinea pig?

Can Guinea Pigs be over weight?
If so, How fat is too fat?

How can you tell? Is it by looking? By fat distribution?

Ive been looking at my boy Bear just lately and he seems quite big? Hes very fat, basically haha. I dont think hes too fat or bloated or anything, hes just a very chunky Piggie.

But maybe I'm spending so much time with the new girls who are just a year old, and therefore slimmer?

When do Guinea pigs reach their full weight? If that makes sense, I guess what i mean is when do they reach 'Adult' weight/body mass, Because obviously younger GP look different to older GP,.

I see a lot of people talking about Their GP weights and it really various, so whats a healthy weight/looking guinea pig?

You may find all your answers including how to assess the weight/size ratio, acceptable weight ranges and the weight development throughout a piggy's life in this link here. As well as much more...
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight

Back