• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Caves And Tunnel Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

releppes

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for advice on caves and tunnels for my guineas.

What is the general pros and cons against using composite houses, tunnels, and accessories in a guinea habitat?

In general, I would prefer a more natural habitat of grass can twig constructed hideaways, but they tend to absorb poop and pee too much for my taste. I invested in a large Kaytee composite house (ie: the one shaped like a tree stump), and I love it. The guineas love it too. I've since been on a quest for other composite type furnishings to compliment the house, but wasn't sure what was considered safe for a cave dweller.

Most of the plastic type homes and tunnels I see for cavies are in my opinion rather ugly. So I've been looking at reptile habitat furnishings as they have a more natural appearance (ie: rocks and logs...). My question is are such composite type of materials that one would use in a reptile cage be safe for a guinea pig cage?

Thanks!

i'm not completely sure to be honest. it might be safer to stick with products made for rabbits and piggies etc.

i also prefer natural items myself. i've seen alot on zooplus i think, and the hayexperts sell lots. i've heard that people remove the bottom of certain items to prevent them getting soiled so that is another option :)

Natural Hays Rabbit Supplies | The Hay Experts

i'm not completely sure to be honest. it might be safer to stick with products made for rabbits and piggies etc.

i also prefer natural items myself. i've seen alot on zooplus i think, and the hayexperts sell lots. i've heard that people remove the bottom of certain items to prevent them getting soiled so that is another option :)

Natural Hays Rabbit Supplies | The Hay Experts
Thanks for the response. I see in general there are many plastic/composite types of furnishing for guinea pigs. I also have the Kaytee feeder which is made out of some kind of composite plastic. Seems similar to the Kaytee house I bought. From various pet stores I see there are many bowls and dishes that are intended for cavies. The same as dishes marketed for dogs and cats. The reptile food dishes tend to run more in price, but their unique shapes and style seem to make great decorating in a guinea cage.

I already made a purchase for a large corner reptile water dish made by Zoo Med. I'm using it as a hay manger. The process of using a normal manger was more work than it was worth. It was such a mess to stuff hay in the manger. The piggies just ripped it out and spread it all over the ground anyway. I bought the large reptile water dish as a place I can place the hay. So much easier to clean out and refill. It was my effort to keep the hay out of the poop and have the cage look generally nicer.

The composite plastic used in the reptile water dish seems animal safe. There's no smell and I'm assuming there would be no skin reaction. I'm guessing reptiles would be more susceptible to that sort of thing which might explain why such furnishing generally cost more. My other motivation was that the reptile water dish really looks nice with the tree stump house. I was thinking of buying another smaller reptile food dish to replace my pellet feeder. Again, motivation being that ascetically they look nice in the cage. I also love the fact they don't get moved around. I would consider more purchases, such as a large reptile tunnel, but wanted to know if it's generally safe to place furnishing marketed for reptiles, dogs or even cats, being safe for a cavie cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back