• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Cheaper hay?

Gemm24

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have 4 guinea pigs and
They have oxbow orchard timothy blend hay. They get through 5kg per month and it costs me £44.
Do you know of any cheaper hey but is of equal or even better quality? I want to give my pigs the best but don’t want to break the bank.

Thanks

I had the same dilemma. I stumbled across some locally grown meadow hay that is really good quality and the piggies love it! Perhaps check a few farm shops. The local hay is £1.75 for a big sack that lasts a full week for two piggies. They are outside pigs so they get through a lot.

Have you got a farm shop or farm supplier nearby or who will deliver to you? They are often much better value if you have one nearby.
(I use our local farm supplier for hay and bedding (I have guinea pigs and rabbit) and get a 15kg bale of hay for £8)

Hi, I have 10 piggies.
I’ve been buying from TimothyHay.co.uk
You get s 9k bag for £18 but it’s excellent quality at the moment. Go for the soft green hay.

Attachments

• 22BB79C7-9CDC-421B-8B92-B38D7454B8D3.jpeg
    22BB79C7-9CDC-421B-8B92-B38D7454B8D3.jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 1
  • C64B0B83-1508-49C6-AD17-EB399777C571.jpeg
    C64B0B83-1508-49C6-AD17-EB399777C571.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 1
Hi everyone

I have 4 guinea pigs and
They have oxbow orchard timothy blend hay. They get through 5kg per month and it costs me £44.
Do you know of any cheaper hey but is of equal or even better quality? I want to give my pigs the best but don’t want to break the bank.

Thanks[/QUOT

I also get my hay from Timothyhay.co.uk and it's gorgeous stuff, and way cheaper than what you're using just now at £22 for 9kg.At the moment it's almost as green as grass. I also tried their oat hay which I really liked too, but the piggies preferred the Timothy. There's another similar supplier called hayandstraw which I have also used. They are slightly cheaper again at £18 for 9kg.

Hi, I have 10 piggies.
You get s 9k bag for £18 but it’s excellent quality at the moment. Go for the soft green hay.
I love the look of that hay, how long does that last you?

For some reason my reply has gone into the quote. I was agreeing with @Guineautopia. There is another site too call hayandstraw which is about £18 I think timothyhay is actually £22. The Timothy stuff is fabulous just now. It depends how generous you are how long it lasts. If you use it for feeding only, you'll get months from it, but I also put lots in for them to play in but I still get at least a month for my 5.

Hi everyone

I have 4 guinea pigs and

Thanks
B and m sell a nice timothy hay £2 a bag. Tightly packed, you get quite alot for what it looks

Oh yes @Reenie is right, it is £22.
It lasts me about a month but I’m quite liberal with its use. I guess you could use a cheaper meadow hay for sleeping areas and then this Timothy hay just for eating but I just throw handlfuls in twice a day.

We like Pillow-Wad meadow hay from Amazon, it comes from a farm in Northamptomshire and is about £15 for 3 x 2.25kg bags. I like the smaller bags and repeat online ordering for our indoor piggies so it doesnt go all over the floor and can be stored in a wardrobe... it smells really fresh and the piggies actually prefer it to the burgess excel or science selective timothy hay that is 3x as expensive! But I use both, Pillow-Wad for every day and everywhere with a couple of handfuls of the more expensive stuff at dinner time in the smaller hay trays.

Hi, I have 10 piggies.

I also got this hay. It's amazing. I have 2 rabbits and they eat loads of this. I have to refill their hay racks twice a day. I think I've had my bale over a month and they're not even half way through it. Well worth the money.

I get my hay from a little chain store called Just for Pets, each bag is about 2.7kg and cost £4.75, 2 bags usually last my 12 about a week although I throw a thick layer all over the floor of all their cages including a big 7x3 pen..it's pretty compact so theres loads in the bags. Although not everywhere seems to have a Just for Pets store! If I didnt have them, id buy from either hayandstraw.co.uk or timothyhay.co.uk. While Oxbow is pretty nice hay, it's sooo expensive, I only ever buy it as a treat hay when i've got some extra cash.

That being said, if you have farms near you, you could find bales of hay thatll last you months for as little as £3! You've just got to make sure you inspect it for mould, dampness and quality.

Hi everyone

I have 4 guinea pigs and

Thanks
You can get Kaytee brand Timothy Hay, my piggies love it. I think you can buy it at any pet store. It’s a very good brand.

I get my hay from a farm for 6 quid for a huge bale you see in the field. I buy 2 at a time and they last me 6-8 weeks. I have 5 piggies and I use it for bedding in my 2 level 6 ft hutch as well as eating hay. It is lovely and dry and lovely green hay. Never had a problem with it being damp or mouldy. It is so fresh it smells of honey.

That does seem very exspensive for dried out hay. I buy 20kg of grass for £13, it has much more nutrients than hay. It's called graze on grass.

I get my hay from a farm for 6 quid for a huge bale you see in the field. I buy 2 at a time and they last me 6-8 weeks. I have 5 piggies and I use it for bedding in my 2 level 6 ft hutch as well as eating hay. It is lovely and dry and lovely green hay. Never had a problem with it being damp or mouldy. It is so fresh it smells of honey.

same here fresh off the farm field ,£3.50 a bale, sweet smelling,green and soft, get 2 at a time ,and keep them in the big wheelie bins. the farmer stores the hay all year round in closed barn so it's good hay. he delivers here free.

I buy burgess excel and alfalfa King Timothy hay and as you say hays can be quite expensive so I just put these in their hay racks. The hay I use in large quantities is meadow hay which I get in a very large bale from the range for £3 something. It is nice and soft and has long stands and the pigs love it

Back