• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

SocksDobbyLeo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My baby Dobby has a chipped bottom tooth and he isn't eating/drinking very much. He is losing weight and seems to be lighter than his little brother. Are there any ways I can help him other than taking him to the vet? It's very expensive and when we went for their mom after she gave birth the vet said it was simply a lost cause... please help!

Attachments

• IMG_5184.JPG
    IMG_5184.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 1
He tries to eat lettuce and food pellets but it falls out of his mouth. He seems to be eating hay better than anything else..

My baby Dobby has a chipped bottom tooth and he isn't eating/drinking very much. He is losing weight and seems to be lighter than his little brother. Are there any ways I can help him other than taking him to the vet? It's very expensive and when we went for their mom after she gave birth the vet said it was simply a lost cause... please help!

Please cut all veg into fine strips or grate it so it is more easy to pick up. Mush up pellets and syringe feed that as well as water. You can get a needle-free 1ml syringe from your vet or any pharmacy. Cut the tip off as shown in the syringe feeding guide to allow fibre to come through.
Weigh him daily at the same time on the kitchen scales instead of the regular once weekly weigh. Same aged piggies are not necessarily the same weight, but you will find out from one day to the next whether he is eating enough.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
The Importance Of Weighing - Ideal Weight / Overweight / Underweight

If your boy continues to struggle with his weight and if food still comes back out even with your help, then he needs to see a vet because something more serious could be wrong with his front teeth or overgrowing back teeth.

Check whether his incisors are still sitting firmly in the gums. If they wobble, if means that the toot has broken further down and their can be damage to root. In this case you also need to see a vet. The incisors are about 1 1/2 inches long and run under and over the jaw.

Here is my Hywel with his cut up veg.
DSCN3267_edited-1.jpg

Back