• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Cloudy Eye After Long Treated Hay-poke And Recent Dental Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

LydiaMinx

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys, me again! Hopefully I can take a break from posting in this section of the forum soon :bye:

So Badger, as detailed in a separate thread, has had dental issues this week. I think I managed to get it under wraps pretty quickly, first noticed he was under the weather on Friday night, he had a dental on Tuesday and only lost about 100g - vet said there was only small molar burrs but that the x-ray might have revealed an elongated root on his left side, but he wasn't 100% sure.

In late October, Badger got a small sharp piece of hay in his left eye, which I didn't notice quite so fast, that turned his eye cloudy and blue. I noticed when it had gotten to this point and it turns out he had an ulcer, which was treated with antibiotic eye gel and corneal repair gel. He got over it fast, the hay was taken out, and his eye seemed to go back to normal. If I recall correctly, his eye remained with a small blue tinge, but nothing major - I assumed this was light scarring.

In the past few weeks or so, I noticed his left eye going slightly blue again, and little by little, more blue. It now is starkly different to the right in light. He also seems to squint slightly in this eye, when the other is wide open; and it appears slightly more watery, but not a lot. Has a marginal amount more eye goop (normal goop) then the other.
As I've been reading up on what the vet said about a possible elongated root on his left side, I'm not totally paranoid that his worsening eye is due to the root infringing on it.

I've read that they cause the eye to bulge, but his sticks out the same as the others, and appears to have vision in it. As far as I am aware also, his possible elongated root is on the bottom left jaw, not the top (but I'm ringing the vet tomorrow to clarify this and request a copy of the x-ray). I'm second guessing myself here, as I feel that I'm now paranoid about every little thing being a sign of him having elongated roots (which seems to be pretty much a death sentence, from what I've read?).

Can they cause cataract type clouding over the eye? Even from the bottom? Feel free to call me paranoid guys, might need bringing back down to earth after the hellish week of ill piggies I'm having (and we're only half-way through, yyyyayyyyyyy)

I would get your vet to have a look - I have just had Trufflington at the vets this morning as my daughter noticed last night that her left eye seemed to be cloudy / milky in the centre and red around that - turns out it is an ulcer and I have to put antibiotic cream in it 3 times a day - cost £38 for the consult and the treatment all together.

I would get your vet to have a look - I have just had Trufflington at the vets this morning as my daughter noticed last night that her left eye seemed to be cloudy / milky in the centre and red around that - turns out it is an ulcer and I have to put antibiotic cream in it 3 times a day - cost £38 for the consult and the treatment all together.

Thank you for the reply!
I asked the vet who treated him for the hay poke today about it, she gave me a repeat for the initial drops he was on so seeing how that goes again, mainly just concerned it's all actually to do with his teeth this time, but she thought that was quite unlike. They do love to worry us don't they!

I live at my (two sets) of vets - Bumble has to go for a few sessions of physiotherapy starting Friday as he has adhesions from his 4 operations and this is causing intermittent squeeky wees - so he will have some soft tissue therapy around the tops of his back legs and side. - thank heaven for insurance!

I live at my (two sets) of vets - Bumble has to go for a few sessions of physiotherapy starting Friday as he has adhesions from his 4 operations and this is causing intermittent squeeky wees - so he will have some soft tissue therapy around the tops of his back legs and side. - thank heaven for insurance!

Ohhhhh insurance. I got my boys insured 10 days ago precisely after deliberating over it for months. My reasoning over not getting it was 'They've never been anything but healthy, it could be a waste of money', decided to get it anyway...both become ill within the first 14 days - I can't claim for anything ongoing in the future related to dentals, lumps or eyes :mal: It would be me! Still happy to have it though, for other bits that may crop up

I had nothing much for the first couple of years - then £2000 last year - £2000 the year before and from October when my policy renewed £800 so far with Bumble and more for his physio (which if it cost the same as Nuggets chiropractor treatments will be about £48 for a 15 min session!

I had nothing much for the first couple of years - then £2000 last year - £2000 the year before and from October when my policy renewed £800 so far with Bumble and more for his physio (which if it cost the same as Nuggets chiropractor treatments will be about £48 for a 15 min session!

Good lord, I'm relieved for you that you have insurance! Wish Bumble a speedy recovery though

Reactions: TAN
My Tim had a retrobulbar abscess which I think was due to elongated roots (he has a thread on here somewhere with photos) and his eye really bulged and he was kind of squinting. I don't think it was blue though.

Have a look at this thread as it is more detailed than Tim's and is the same issue (and same vet). Plus it is impossible to search for the word Tim as it is too short.

Cedric's Eye Problem - A Diary

I will also tag @furryfriends (TEAS) and @MintyAndGarry (TEAS)

My Fred had dental disease and had to have dental's. After a year of no health issues his exclusions where removed and he's now fully covered @LydiaMinx.

My Tim had a retrobulbar abscess which I think was due to elongated roots (he has a thread on here somewhere with photos) and his eye really bulged and he was kind of squinting. I don't think it was blue though.

Have a look at this thread as it is more detailed than Tim's and is the same issue (and same vet). Plus it is impossible to search for the word Tim as it is too short.

Cedric's Eye Problem - A Diary

I will also tag @furryfriends (TEAS) and @MintyAndGarry (TEAS)

Thank you for replying! His eye isn't bulging at all, which is why I'm in a bit of a tizz about it. However saying that, I started using his eye drops from his hay poke a few days ago, and already his eye looks less blue and is not so squinty. I more then likely missed another hay poke, from being so focused on him not eating :(

My Fred had dental disease and had to have dental's. After a year of no health issues his exclusions where removed and he's now fully covered @LydiaMinx.

Oh wow, I've not heard of pigs having teeth removed! Did he recover quickly enough? It's something I may consider if I get a 100% answer on his tooth root, although he seems more himself every day since the dental

Thank you for replying! His eye isn't bulging at all, which is why I'm in a bit of a tizz about it. However saying that, I started using his eye drops from his hay poke a few days ago, and already his eye looks less blue and is not so squinty. I more then likely missed another hay poke, from being so focused on him not eating :(

Oh wow, I've not heard of pigs having teeth removed! Did he recover quickly enough? It's something I may consider if I get a 100% answer on his tooth root, although he seems more himself every day since the dental

I meant his insurance exclusions where removed - he still has a full set of knasher's :)). We can now claim for teeth issue's, as we haven't had teeth issues in over a year. He does however have three incisors the 4th was removed due a nasty jaw bone abscess.

I meant his insurance exclusions where removed - he still has a full set of knasher's :)). We can now claim for teeth insurances. He does however have three incisors the 4th was removed due a nasty jaw bone abscess.

Oh, duh! Sorry, read that as something totally different! 6am starts at work do not suit me :no: I'm hoping to have a year free of any problems with either of them after this cluster, it's like nothing for years and then everything at once! Although Badger is mostly eating fine now, still a tad hesitant on the nuggets and water bottle but he's back to his old antics - a bit more positive about a possible elongated root (both with it maybe not being the case and if so, it being manageable for some time)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back