• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Constipated Piggy

Charlotte behan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My 9 month old male guinea pig has been constipated for a few days now. After an expensive trip to a 24 hour vets yesterday he was given a pain relief injection and i've so far given him 3 doses of Ranitidine but he still doesn't show any signs of improvement in the toilet department. He's becoming a bit more active and is eating still but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and could offer advice/ experience?

ps. ive checked his downstairs region and there doesnt seem to be any sign of impaction.

Gem789

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
My 9 month old male guinea pig has been constipated for a few days now. After an expensive trip to a 24 hour vets yesterday he was given a pain relief injection and i've so far given him 3 doses of Ranitidine but he still doesn't show any signs of improvement in the toilet department. He's becoming a bit more active and is eating still but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this before and could offer advice/ experience?

ps. ive checked his downstairs region and there doesnt seem to be any sign of impaction.
Has your vet x rayed him to check for a blockage?

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Zanctac will help start getting the guts moving, I would ask the vet for some emeprid too another guit stim that works together well with Zantac as they work on different areas of the gut. It can take a few days for the guts to start working again. Did the vet think it was gas or bloat?

What is he eating?

The vet checked for impaction?

Charlotte behan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Zanctac will help start getting the guts moving, I would ask the vet for some emeprid too another guit stim that works together well with Zantac as they work on different areas of the gut. It can take a few days for the guts to start working again. Did the vet think it was gas or bloat?

What is he eating?

He actually just had a tiny poop which is a good sign. He's eating a lot more than he was yesterday and the previous days before however ive still been giving him water through a syringe because he doesnt seem to be drinking.

The vet didnt mention anything about impaction, i just know about it from reading other forums. He prescribed zanctac for 5 days every 12 hours so I'm going to see how he gets on and go to the vet if i think he's not getting better. He seems more in character now, I'm just a little worried as a first time owner.

Charlotte behan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Also, currently today he's ate a bit of corriander, carrot, romaine lettuce and hay.

Merrypigs Sanctuary

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's great he's eating! If his poops don't return to normal soon, I'd see if a vet can check for a blockage just in case - all that food must be going somewhere! :)

Charlotte behan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's great he's eating! If his poops don't return to normal soon, I'd see if a vet can check for a blockage just in case - all that food must be going somewhere! :)
hahah yeah thats what i think :) Ill update this post on his condition, thanks!

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eating us a good sign as is poo! Keep going with the meds, poo is a great sign

Charlotte behan

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Has your vet x rayed him to check for a blockage?

What is he eating?

Eating us a good sign as is poo! Keep going with the meds, poo is a great sign
thanks for your help guys, Jackson is back to his normal self after 5 days on zantac! I guess it just takes a while to kick in.