COVID-19 Coronavirus

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I just read that places allowed to stay open during this like supermarket's have to enforce the 2 metre rule. I have been told my local tescos is doing this but when I went to aldi earlier there were no rules in place. I tried to keep my distance from others but this wasn't enforced and at the till there were no measures in place. Even customers were very close having a chat with the checkout person. Should this be allowed?
This is now very strictly enforced here in Switzerland, but I will be honest and say it took nearly a week after the initial rules were announced.
I am sure it will come, but it will just a take a few days.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I know, I duno why I didn't think like that, brain fart I guess. Its so obvious
What I would say to anyone who is feeling anxious and overwhelmed is to step back and take a break.
I realised on Friday afternoon that I was spending far too much time reading about the current situation and all the theories and scare stories.
So I made a conscious decision to shut my computer down for 48 hours.
I picked a new book to read, dug out some recipes to bake, dragged out some old board games, found a pattern for my next sewing project, and forced myself not to look at any news stories whatsoever for 48 hours.

And when I came back online:
1. No one even noticed I had been gone
2. Nothing had really changed
3. I realised that is is ok to take a break becasue me worrying about the situation isn't helping, it's just causing me stress

Emx93

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Not that they knew of, they probably did have an underlying issue. Don't worry
I have diabetes that wasn't picked up until after I had my first daughter despite being borderline since a child they'd not tested me in years, I had loads of pregnancy complications and it was only after I gave birth to an 8lb 14.5oz baby 3 weeks early that I got a test some months down the line...

SkyPipDotBernie

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have diabetes that wasn't picked up until after I had my first daughter despite being borderline since a child they'd not tested me in years, I had loads of pregnancy complications and it was only after I gave birth to an 8lb 14.5oz baby 3 weeks early that I got a test some months down the line...
Exactly. I guess that when covid patients get rushed into hospital, they will check the patients medical history, but can't check for any underlying issues there and then in a complete rush.

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yea I was looking out for you, hoping you would stay the hell inside lol
I have been as much as poss, only popped out today as so low on veg and my milk was more like cottage cheese! :doh:Still no blooming loo roll though! My sister’s a carer obv and so busy atm with kids and work felt bad asking her!

Qualcast&Flymo

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I know 170000 have signed up to help the NHS which is brilliant but I know they're hoping for 250000.Things like delivering prescriptions they'll definitely need people for that.
I think they've actually already had 250000 responses which was what they were looking for, but the more the better I should think. I'm going to sign up later when I can get on the 'puter.

Lorcan

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You know, thank goodness for plastic money. Gonna disinfect a £10 note, slide it under my door, and then someone's gonna buy me a sandwich. I would kill for a sandwich right now. Actually just food in general, I think it's been about 6 days since I've eaten something that wasn't soup.

Fweeper

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score

Posyrose

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure I'm happy with it being something charged for, many of the people out there still working are the ones keeping the country going and also the ones least likely to have spare money to buy it. Private enterprise really needs to step up here and make this free to all key workers.
It says that they have been purchashed, so hopefully free at the point of use.

Helen82

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure I'm happy with it being something charged for, many of the people out there still working are the ones keeping the country going and also the ones least likely to have spare money to buy it. Private enterprise really needs to step up here and make this free to all key workers.
Yes charging for it isn't great, and it depends on how Public Health England define 'minimal' cost, but I interpreted it as the distributing to e.g. NHS workers and people who have officially reported symptoms would get them free, and then there would be others for sale to everyone else. And *if* the test works it's going to be so helpful to know who has already had Coronavirus.

Sar

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
It says that they have been purchashed, so hopefully free at the point of use.
I'm hoping it's going to be one of those available to those who need it/ displaying symptoms and available to buy for those that are curious but not in need. I would buy one for me and hubby just to be sure but neither of us have symptoms so wouldn't expect the NHS to pay for me as they need to prioritise those with symptoms etc

Pound Shilling & Pig

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I suspect this is more likely a lot of very bored kids cracking out their christmas presents tbh. If you can't go out, slap a go pro on the bottom of a drone and you can at least go for a virtual walk!

Shopping is becoming a nightmare, food sourcing is becoming my full time job and I am getting heartily sick of it. Everyone in my immediate sphere is either high risk, in total 12 week lockdown, or is locked down because they live with someone high risk or in lockdown, so none of us can go to the shops. Online is our only option and it's just hellish. Plus side, all the supermarkets are now opening up more slots, which should take the edge off things a bit for everyone. I know they're also delivering later in the day now too, up to 11.30pm for Morrisons anyway, which should also help. The essentials box from them is also a great idea, but sadly the website is drowning under demand, which is not ideal. I'm hoping they up their ability to cope with the bandwidth a bit.

Friendly reminder to anyone with a few spare quid that foodbanks are getting desperate and really need donations of all kinds now. There are a lot of people (as has been mentioned in this thread) that don't have the spare cash to stock up and are really struggling to feed their kids and themselves at the moment.

For those struggling, there are now several GOOD NEWS stories you could check to help you see there's not all doom and gloom in this:
25 positive stories from Elle
Good new stories from Yahoo
LA Times article from a Nobel Laureate on the pandemic's likely time table

There is also an interesting paper just released from Oxford uni that postulates that the virus may have actually been in the UK for a far longer period than imagined, and causing far less symptoms, peaking within the next few weeks having already infected around half the population with minimal effect. It does contain a lot of large unknowns though and will rely on the anti-body test to demonstrate just how many of us have had it and never realised. Still, it's an interesting and well thought out read, certainly anecdotal evidence from people I know would back it up too, but until we get the tests, we're not going to know for sure.
This is very interesting, at new year I was really ill and had to take a week off work, which I don't do lightly as I am self employed. I had a very bad cough and a temperature and no other cold symptoms. After a few days the cough came from deep in my lungs and if I took a deep breath I could hear them crackling. I had no strength to do anything except drag myself to the shop to buy veg for the pigs and to look after them as best I could. I had had the flu jab so put it down to a very bad virus getting me as run down over christmas. If back then we had been told covid 19 was in the uk, that is what I would have said I had :hmm:

SkyPipDotBernie

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I have been as much as poss, only popped out today as so low on veg and my milk was more like cottage cheese! :doh:Still no blooming loo roll though! My sister’s a carer obv and so busy atm with kids and work felt bad asking her!
I managed to get 4 toilet rolls yesterday ( pack of 4) at my local corner shop, I thought I was hillucinating, it felt the same as finding a £10 not on the floor.