• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Coroplast Substitutes ?

PiggyProdigy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi. I'm building a new cage for my male pigs on Thursdsy, and I was wondering is there any good, cheaper substitutes to coroplast ? It's really expensive and it seems like there is more practical solutions to the bottom of the fleece than that...
My dad ordered a grid kit online for my c@c that has over 80 squares and I want to make a piggy mansion but that much coroplast doesn't seem like the way to go..
What did you guys substitute?
Thanks for any advice :)

Sounds exciting! Just make sure the grids are 9 squares by 9 squares as I've recently discovered some are just 8x8 and these are not safe for piggies cages.

I recently set up may cages using over 100 grids and it makes a huge size so you will have a great size piggy home. I used correx/coroplast for mine as I used grids for the base and wanted something strong and stable to cover them. If you aren't making a base out of grids, I know some members use waterproof table cloths or shower curtains as the base but without the sides/edges like with correx you will get more mess escaping.

Thanks @Eileen's Mum I'll check what the squares are. I will figure something out... I was really kind of going for something that acts and looks a lot like coroplast but isn't quite as good quality or expensive...

@PiggyProdigy If it's going to be on the floor or a solid surface you have more options as the base doesn't need to be rigid.

I've used a piece of lino before and my current spare end of the C&C has a waterproof mattress cover as the lining as it's on the floor.

My dad has some drop cloths and plastic tarps I can use, plus if need be I can buy a king size a king size mattress liner on amazon for $19

IMG_0372.PNG

@PiggyProdigy Sorry, that end is currently not occupied by piggies so it's rammed full of fleece and bedding so you can't see the lining.

I have a piece of fleece on the floor to stop the cold of the wooden floor getting through, then the mattress cover like the above photo. You can use anything waterproof, I just have the mattress cover as it was £1.50 from a charity shop.

@Jaycey , The thing is I ordered like over 80 grids so I need things that will hold multiple levels. Sounds strange, but my dad and I went dumpster diving behind sign shops and got a ton of material for free
Still will need a little more, but that's for another day...

Maybe a bit late, but in Market Harborough the Homebase sells large sheets (about 2m by 1.6m) of 5mm thick white coroplast type stuff for £4.50 a sheet. It's not listed on their website, but might be worth seeing if your local one has any.

Back