• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Samantha Levy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just got a male guinea pig 5 days ago from a animal shelter. They didn't have his age, it was unknown. For the first 2 days he was perfectly fine. Of course he ran away from me when I tried to pick him up. But thats what all piggies do as what ive seen/read. After those 3 days we started hearing teeth chattering and yawning. I thought he was sharpening his teeth because there was no way he could be cold. Then I thought he was just tired.

After reasearching what that means I was thinking I wasnt doing something right. I would take him out onto my lap every day, I made sure to give him enough hay and pellets. I also gave him veggies and fruit. He had a big cage to run around in.

Maybe the next day the chattering stayed but the yawning stopped. After I sprayed his bed area becuase he had been going to the bathroom there. I waited 10 minutes with him in his playpen. I put him back and he started running around the cage like a maniac

I just want to knos if I'm not or supposed to do something to help. I'm just concerned about the chattering. As I'm writing this he is now chattering his teeth.

I just got a male guinea pig 5 days ago from a animal shelter. They didn't have his age, it was unknown. For the first 2 days he was perfectly fine. Of course he ran away from me when I tried to pick him up. But thats what all piggies do as what ive seen/read. After those 3 days we started hearing teeth chattering and yawning. I thought he was sharpening his teeth because there was no way he could be cold. Then I thought he was just tired.

After reasearching what that means I was thinking I wasnt doing something right. I would take him out onto my lap every day, I made sure to give him enough hay and pellets. I also gave him veggies and fruit. He had a big cage to run around in.

Maybe the next day the chattering stayed but the yawning stopped. After I sprayed his bed area becuase he had been going to the bathroom there. I waited 10 minutes with him in his playpen. I put him back and he started running around the cage like a maniac

I just want to knos if I'm not or supposed to do something to help. I'm just concerned about the chattering. As I'm writing this he is now chattering his teeth.
Running round the cage like a maniac is called zoomies and it means a happy piggie. Was it accompanied by little jumps or popcorns too?

Hi!

Please take the time to read our guides on guinea pig behaviours (includes yawning etc) and how you can use your knowledge of guinea pig social interaction to make friends with your boy in ways that he instinctively understands.
Right now he is rather frightened and very wary of you. The teeth chattering and yawning ("stay away from me, I don't like that") is actually already a step forward from not communicating at all.
Now is your time to tell him in guinea pig body language that you want to be his friend and that you love him. ;)

Always give your guinea pigs time to settle in, much more than just a few days. They are prey animals and are not natural born cuddlers or perfectly trained pets. ;)
Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Guinea pigs will toilet in their bedding area; you need to keep it clean and change the bedding frequently. You can't toilet train them. Please do not spray!

Hi!

Please take the time to read our guides on guinea pig behaviours (includes yawning etc) and how you can use your knowledge of guinea pig social interaction to make friends with your boy in ways that he instinctively understands.
Right now he is rather frightened and very wary of you. The teeth chattering and yawning ("stay away from me, I don't like that") is actually already a step forward from not communicating at all.
Now is your time to tell him in guinea pig body language that you want to be his friend and that you love him. ;)

Always give your guinea pigs time to settle in, much more than just a few days. They are prey animals and are not natural born cuddlers or perfectly trained pets. ;)

Guinea pigs will toilet in their bedding area; you need to keep it clean and change the bedding frequently. You can't toilet train them. Please do not spray!
Hi!

Oh wow. I knew he needed time to settle but didn't think a few days. Thanks for the advice! This helped alot

Back