• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Crital care formula Vetark. Am i using it correctly?

Tjl93

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had my boy neutered today and since he has been home he hasnt eaten a thing. He has had his pain medication that the vet instructed to give. I have critical care formula vetark its in a powder form. It says 1 scoop (5ml) for 250g of animal with 3 - 4 scoops of water. My boy is 800g so do i repeat this feed 3 times a day and do i just mixed it with water and syringe it into his mouth. Sorry if this is a silly question I'm new to this and want to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks

I'm kind of confused, critical care is its own thing by the brand name oxbow and vetark is a probitoic powder.

You mix both with water, critical care and vetark both need to be syringe fed, do a 1/4 of a syringe at a time to avoid aspiration.

Complete Syringe Feeding Guide, hopefully your pig will start eating for himself soon, just keep an eye on his weight and his poop output, if he doesn't start anytime soon or tomorrow, I'd go back and see if you can get a post op checkup early. All the best, just don't let him not eat atall 👍 keep syringe feeding until you see him start nibbling hay for himself and then keep an eye out to see how much he is actually eating, to determine how much to keep syringe feeding then. This is what I'd do anyway

I had my boy neutered today and since he has been home he hasnt eaten a thing. He has had his pain medication that the vet instructed to give. I have critical care formula vetark its in a powder form. It says 1 scoop (5ml) for 250g of animal with 3 - 4 scoops of water. My boy is 800g so do i repeat this feed 3 times a day and do i just mixed it with water and syringe it into his mouth. Sorry if this is a silly question I'm new to this and want to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks

Hi! Critical Care is also available in powder form; it is easier to syringe and tends to go down better in my own experience.
Please follow the preparation advice on the label.

If your boy is not eating at all, you need to get at least 40-60 ml into him over the course of 24 hours; ideally every 2 hours during the day and at least once during the night. If they are feeling really unwell, then it is a real struggle but you need to stay tough. Try for at least 5 ml in one setting.
If your boy is eating 10-15 ml in a session and is starting to eat for himself, then you can start to reduce the sessions. A healthy piggie is eating the equivalent of 90-120 ml in a day.
Please also offer water, as much as he will take from a syringe. Please do not just empty the syringe into the mouth; you have to do it in bits and wait until the previous lot has gone down.

Make sure that you weigh daily at the same time to monitor the food intake. It is a vital instrument for being aware what is going on.

Please contact your vets tomorrow if your boy is not eating at all.

Here are our guides:
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Tips For Post-operative Care
Neutering operations: Considerations, post-op care and a successful recovery example

Weight - Monitoring and Management

I'm a little confused. Because the critical care is in liquid form should i also be syringe feeding mushed up pellets? So he has solids? Ive given him one lot of critical care he took it great i gave him little bit at a time and he swallowed it well. Hes still very dazed bless him. Thanks

I'm a little confused. Because the critical care is in liquid form should i also be syringe feeding mushed up pellets? So he has solids? Ive given him one lot of critical care he took it great i gave him little bit at a time and he swallowed it well. Hes still very dazed bless him. Thanks
No the Critical care is fine on its own. You don't need to syringe nuggets as well. Hope your boy is on the mend soon.

I may be getting things completely wrong, but the Vetark CC Formula looks like a supplementary/complementary food, not a substitute for when a piggie isn't eating at all. It says it contains sugars (derived from corn) and protein, no mention of fibre etc. I would syringe feed mashed pellets as well this stuff, if the piggie hasn't started eating enough for himself, in the absence of Oxbow Critical Care or Selective Recovery Food ....

If you have other piggies, try freshly made 'poo soup' in order to transfer live healthy gut microbiome into the affected gut.
The 'recipe' is in the link here: Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

When properly made, it is more effective than classic probiotics; it also mimics natural behaviour in recovering piggies by giving them a tailor-made top up to help the gut recover from the impact of the antibiotic.

Hi guys. Quick question. I'm suppose to give my boy 0.1 meticam twice a day. He doesnt make it easy for me and he shook his head while trying to give him his morning dose and i missed I'm not sure if any actually went into his mouth. Would it be safe to give him his morning dose again? Thanks

Hi guys. Quick question. I'm suppose to give my boy 0.1 meticam twice a day. He doesnt make it easy for me and he shook his head while trying to give him his morning dose and i missed I'm not sure if any actually went into his mouth. Would it be safe to give him his morning dose again? Thanks

Yes, give it again. The dosage is on the low side so no risk at all. ;)

Back