• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Dandruff-ey skin

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I notice today whilst grooming BB that she has quite a bit of scurfy skin on her back. She’s never been a super sleek pig (not like her sister Rey who is so shiny) and her fur was never as thick as Chewie’s. It doesn’t look irritated or sore or like she’s been scratching it and I haven’t seen her scratching any more than normal. Neither of the other two have anything like it. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her, but now I’ve noticed it, it’s bothering me! Does it warrant a vet visit?

Probably worth a vet check just rule out anything nasty! We have a piggy (Jezzy floof) with flaky skin and occasionally a bit of mild fur loss on her bottom, she was tested for fungal infections, treated for mites, tested for mites and didnt have any, treated with baytril in case it was bacterial... so having ruled everything else out she just has dry flaky skin. But always good to check!

Thanks, I don’t *think* it’s anyhing nasty as I would have thought the other two would show some signs of it, but I’ll probably book her in anyway for peace of mind if nothing else.

Always good to check. If it turns out to be nothing at least it's put your mind at rest. A vet would rather see a piggy with nothing wrong and an anxious owner than a ill piggy with an owner that has left it too late.

I agree with @PigglePuggle .

Some piggies have naturally scurfy skin (especially teddies), but it is basically a default diagnosis so you always need to exclude mites and fungal first.

Back from the vets. Most likely to be mites so she’s had an injection (panomec 0.02ml) and is going back in two weeks. Got to keep an eye on her and the others (nats) who are currently showing no signs.

I do feel bad. If it is mites then she was probably itchy and I haven’t noticed her itching or grooming any more than normal :no: But hopefully this will sort her out.

Had a slight panic as I put her back in her cage - I felt a hard lump on her side (opposite side to where she has her cyst site) but phew! It was just my own fingertip!

Do I need to do any disinfecting / throw away all current bedding & hay bag etc? Or is that overkill?

Had our 2 week check up today. I think her skin looks a bit better generally but she does have a little bald patch :-( this skin on the bald patch is not scurfy though. They are also all starting to moult as well, so it looks even worse!
The lovely Vlad gave her some spot-on stuff for mites and did say it can take 4-6 to clear from the initial injection (2weeks ago).
He also took some ‘pluckings’ to culture for ringworm, just incase. He said the UV in sunlight is good for helping treat ringworm, so spring is actually a ‘good’ time to get it if she has. Would just have to be warm enough to get them on the grass after work. I hope it’s not ringworm!

Went back to the vets this morning and saw Djordje (or George to us English folk! Who was very impressed with how quickly she’s getting better.
The ringworm test was a very definite Negative and I have two more applications of Xeno (is that how it’s spelt?) to give her two weeks apart and then she’s done. Djordje said she doesnt need to come in again as long as I’m happy with her.

He also congratulated me on her weight - most of the pigs they see are too fat!

Back