• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Do NOT Give Your Guinea Pigs Convenia Antibiotic

This is terrible. Worse because it is common knowledge in the UK not to use that drug. I so agree with you, how could a so called expert not know. I am so sorry to hear another of your Guinea pigs is affected.
I hope it is a milder reaction and he has a full recovery. Sending big hugs to you all.

This is terrible. Worse because it is common knowledge in the UK not to use that drug. I so agree with you, how could a so called expert not know. I am so sorry to hear another of your Guinea pigs is affected.
I hope it is a milder reaction and he has a full recovery. Sending big hugs to you all.
Unfortunately our other pig didn’t make it. 😔 We were syringe feeding her critical care and probiotics but it got to the point where she couldn’t even swallow or hold her head up. Poor thing. 😢

My little baby Snugs passed away today. 😢
My partner and I took her to the vet along with our other two pigs because they had a mild cough. They were otherwise doing fine. Happy, lively, eating well. Only coughed a little at nighttime and we wanted to get them treated incase it turned into something worse like pneumonia (as we know pigs can go downhill quickly). The vet assessed them and said they seemed to be breathing well and thought it could be allergies but recommend we give them injections. We didn’t question the medication as we blindly trusted that the vet knew what she was doing. We were not told of the possible risks or side effects of this medication and had we known, we never would have agreed to give this to our poor babies. 6 days after the injection, Snugs passed away. We had been syringe feeding her critical care nutrients along with the other pigs as their appetite decreased after the injections. Snugs seemed a bit weak yesterday but still had some fight in her. We had no idea we would wake up to her dead this morning. She wasn’t even one year old.😭We have done some research and since found out that Convenia isn’t even licensed for guinea pigs. It’s licensed for cats and dogs. We’ve also read numerous reports of peoples pets dying soon after having this ‘medication’ administered, including cats and dogs. Please don’t let your pet anywhere near this drug and please do you research before allowing your pets to be given medication. Ask questions. Ask about possible risks. We wish we had. 😔💔
Update: Unfortunately we lost our other piggy, Nugs. We were syringe feeding her critical care and probiotics but it got to the point where she couldn’t swallow or hold her own head up. Poor thing. 😞

Update: Unfortunately we lost our other piggy, Nugs. We were syringe feeding her critical care and probiotics but it got to the point where she couldn’t swallow or hold her own head up. Poor thing. 😞

I am so very sorry! What a tragedy! :(

You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge. It is there for all those who would like a little memorial whenever it feels right for them.

I am so very sorry. I can't imagine what you must be going through.
Sleep tight little Nugs.
Thank you again for posting this information. I, for one will never forget the name of this drug.

I am so very sorry! What a tragedy! :(

You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge. It is there for all those who would like a little memorial whenever it feels right for them.
Thank you. I will post a tribute sometime in the next few days. Really appreciate it.

I am so very sorry. I can't imagine what you must be going through.
Sleep tight little Nugs.
Thank you again for posting this information. I, for one will never forget the name of this drug.
Thank you. Butters is the only one left. Here’s hoping our ginger baby pulls through. 🤞🏼I’m glad people are becoming more aware of how dangerous this drug is. Just hope we don’t hear anymore sad Convenia stories on here. That’s Nugs on the left and Butters in the middle.

Attachments

• FF876D6D-BD14-40A0-A115-5C2FA5222D8B.jpeg
    FF876D6D-BD14-40A0-A115-5C2FA5222D8B.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
How awful! Be kind to yourself while you grieve ❤️

Thank you. Butters is the only one left. Here’s hoping our ginger baby pulls through. 🤞🏼I’m glad people are becoming more aware of how dangerous this drug is. Just hope we don’t hear anymore sad Convenia stories on here. That’s Nugs on the left and Butters in the middle.
They are gorgeous.

Beautiful guinea pigs. I’m so sorry this has happened to you and your sweet pigs ❤️

I have recently had trouble with an unexperienced vet that cost my guinea pig her life ultimately and it’s very distressing. I hope Butters recovers and lives a long healthy life.

Beautiful guinea pigs. I’m so sorry this has happened to you and your sweet pigs ❤

I have recently had trouble with an unexperienced vet that cost my guinea pig her life ultimately and it’s very distressing. I hope Butters recovers and lives a long healthy life.
Thank you.

I’m sorry to hear that. That’s awful. I hope you get some justice from that situation.

Unfortunately Butters did not make it.. 😔
She seemed to be doing okay, then on the 10th day after the injection she went completely downhill. Tried to save her but the drug was too toxic. Poor babies. We’re taking this whole situation further into an investigation.

I’m sorry to hear about your losses. A real tragedy because this shouldn’t have happened. Take good care of yourself as you grieve. You did the best for them and most importantly, they were loved 💕

Unbelievable tragedy. I am so sorry for your losses. I hope you find the justice you Snugs, Nugs and Butters deserve.

I'm so sorry for your losses. How terrible that this drug is still given to guinea pigs! Thank you for the warning. Be kind to yourself as you grieve. Rest in peace Snugs, Nugs and Butters ❤️

I'm so sorry you lost your fur babies due to this horrible drug convenia. I lost my furball Romily in 2018 due to her being given this drug for an infecton. The vet told me anyone who knew their stuff gave it instead of other drugs & I stupidly believed him, thinking he's an expert who knows plenty more than me about guinea pig treatment. I then lost her friend Fudge 23 days later due to a bad case of bloat that we couldn't get under control. I believe Fudge was too heartbroken to come through it, despite our best efforts.

Please be kind to yourself & remember that you loved them, they will have known how much.

So very sorry for your tragic double loss.
Holding you in my heart.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

Oh Butters, I’m so sorry she didn’t make it.
I hope you get a good outcome from the investigation.
Thinking of you and your pigs ❤️

Back