• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Don't Bully My Piggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToastandBeans

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I heard woofing from mine and my sisters dog so I checked it out, they were both bullying my piggies. I never get angry and shout at my dog but this time I told them. Very loud.

Nobody bullies my piggies.

I heard woofing from mine and my sisters dog so I checked it out, they were both bullying my piggies. I never get angry and shout at my dog but this time I told them. Very loud.

Nobody bullies my piggies.

Please keep your dogs out of the guinea pig room. You cannot control what they are doing during your absence. Guinea pigs are prey animals and should not be kept where predators can get at them and intimate or stalk/hunt them.

Telling your dog off is not enough.

I know you said no one bullies your piggies, but clearly 2 dogs just did.
As the owner of many dogs over the years I can safley say that shoulting loudly at your dog will not stop it barking at your piggies again.
I had a dog that required 52 stitches after being attacked by a cat, and it did not even make a dent in his desire to chase cats.

It is important that your piggies can feel safe in their own home, and you need to make sure there is no way that the dogs can get into the same room as them.
Imagine if such a thing happened when you were not at home?

I know of several members who use baby gates on their piggy rooms, solely to keep their dogs separate at all times from their pig.
You might want to consider this as a possible option for the future.

My piggies cage is in the living room but it's off the floor and the dogs can't get to it. However they will only be in here when I am in the room. I have a baby gate on the door as I have other pets in this room also and my dogs get shut out when I am not there. I would never allow my 2 dogs to be barking at my small pets. I imagine it would be highly stressful for them. Poor piggies.

I agree it's not fair to shout at the dogs as they are just doing what comes naturally but you need to try and correct this behaviour or just keep the dogs away.

My pigs are in the lounge raised up on a large table. The dogs soon learnt they were out of sight and out of mind, they really never bothered with them.
The cats occasionally peek in but the pigs take no notice as they can't get to them.
This is the exact reason I have a sturdy commercial cage and unfortunately can't have a c and c

Shouting at dogs will only make them think you're barking with them and indirectly encourage more barking which is counterproductive.

I know you said no one bullies your piggies, but clearly 2 dogs just did.
As the owner of many dogs over the years I can safley say that shoulting loudly at your dog will not stop it barking at your piggies again.
I had a dog that required 52 stitches after being attacked by a cat, and it did not even make a dent in his desire to chase cats.

It is important that your piggies can feel safe in their own home, and you need to make sure there is no way that the dogs can get into the same room as them.
Imagine if such a thing happened when you were not at home?

I know of several members who use baby gates on their piggy rooms, solely to keep their dogs separate at all times from their pig.
You might want to consider this as a possible option for the future.
They don't do it when I'm not home. The door is closed. Also it's rare they ever do it.

My piggies cage is in the living room but it's off the floor and the dogs can't get to it. However they will only be in here when I am in the room. I have a baby gate on the door as I have other pets in this room also and my dogs get shut out when I am not there. I would never allow my 2 dogs to be barking at my small pets. I imagine it would be highly stressful for them. Poor piggies.

I agree it's not fair to shout at the dogs as they are just doing what comes naturally but you need to try and correct this behaviour or just keep the dogs away.
Mine are in the hallway so unless I make the living room the dog's (The second was my sisters dog. I said that in the original post) only room with no way outside don't think that can happen..

Sorry for spam posting; but my dog hardly ever bothers the piggies. It was the other dog (who woofs at caterpillars on TV) and he joined in. I only shouted also because they were barking and I got overprotective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back