• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Drinking too much water

ishimercado

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I've noticed these past few days that my 2 Mos old Silkie has been drinking way lots of water. She has a 125ml water bottle that she could finish in 5-6 hours and I've to replenish again. She pees a lot but has no unusual color in it. Her poos are also normal, dry and not squishy. She still loves her lettuce and would eat bits and pieces of Alfalfa Hay mixed with Stargrass Hay. She seems fine to me. Very active and wheeks when she hears me. Also, she keeps on biting the spout of the water bottle. Is this normal? Thanks

Sorry I can’t answer your question as I’m not a health expert.
I did have one piggy who used to attack the spout though- almost as if the water spout had to be beaten into submission

We had a piggy (Oreo) who loved to play with her water bottle.
She would sit next to it and play with the spout for ages, and could easily drain a bottle in a couple of hours.
But she wasn't drinking all of the water, she would let it run through her mouth and spill on the fleece underneath.
So first I would check if she really is drinking the water or just playing with it.
Place something underneath the bottle and see if it is wet (more wet than normal).

If she really is excessivly drinking this could be the start of a medical problem, so I would definetly make an appointment to take her to the vet.

We had a piggy (Oreo) who loved to play with her water bottle.
She would sit next to it and play with the spout for ages, and could easily drain a bottle in a couple of hours.
But she wasn't drinking all of the water, she would let it run through her mouth and spill on the fleece underneath.
So first I would check if she really is drinking the water or just playing with it.
Place something underneath the bottle and see if it is wet (more wet than normal).

If she really is excessivly drinking this could be the start of a medical problem, so I would definetly make an appointment to take her to the vet.

Thank you. You know what? It is excessively wet and I thought it was urine and I consistently change the wood shavings bedding.

I would set up a camera and video the bottle 👍
Or a possible low tech solution (for those who would have no idea how to do that!) is to put a shallow bowl underneath the bottle.
We used an old ceramic ramekin that came with some overpriced chocolate mousse in it :drool: and when it filled with water pretty quickly we worked out what was going on.
The downside of this method was that Oreo started dropping pellets inot the bowl of water, which made an even worse mess, so in the end we resigned outselves to her bottle draining trick and just made sure we kept a close eye on the water levels of their bottles. We also added a 'Sippy' bottle to their cage which she couldn't drain, so we knew they would always have a water source (just google 'Sippy bottle guinea pig').

Or a possible low tech solution (for those who would have no idea how to do that!) is to put a shallow bowl underneath the bottle.
We used an old ceramic ramekin that came with some overpriced chocolate mousse in it :drool: and when it filled with water pretty quickly we worked out what was going on.
The downside of this method was that Oreo started dropping pellets inot the bowl of water, which made an even worse mess, so in the end we resigned outselves to her bottle draining trick and just made sure we kept a close eye on the water levels of their bottles. We also added a 'Sippy' bottle to their cage which she couldn't drain, so we knew they would always have a water source (just google 'Sippy bottle guinea pig').

Thank you!

Hey!

My guinea pig has been recently drinking a lot of water, a bottle to himself each day. He started to become bloated and I too him to the vet and he has a heart murmur! So if your guinea pig doesn't normally drink that much water i'd personally take it to th vet xx

He has started treatment today! He has two medications, a diuretic and medication for his heart murmur. ☺️ I hope he gets to live a long and happy life he really deserves it!
I tried to post a video of Teddy but it said the image was too big so I will try again 😊

Thanks!

Hi, we can't host videos on the forum unfortunately. If you wish to share it on here it will need to be hosted elsewhere such as YouTube, Facebook or photobucket and then linked on here. When I have uploaded videos I used YouTube and it embedded them in the post really easily

Back