Easy Bedding Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomsMum2008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm about to get 2 boars for the first time and am exploring bedding options. We're going to keep them inside so smell limitation is top priority as is quick and easy cleaning.
I'm thinking of using incontinence pads/baby mattress protectors and some sort of top layer....
I have 2 young boys and a baby that generate 4 loads of washing a week so the thought of washing fleeces/vetbeds/washable incontinence pads etc fills me with dread. Plus don't like the idea of washing pet items with baby clothes.
What else can i use on top of the pads?
Are these pads safe for the guinea pigs?
Thx.

Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I use puppy pads and a thick layer of Fitch. It's bought in 20kg bales and is white, so it's great for spot cleaning but not for poo cleaning. I don't fancy washing fleece or Vetbed either, as I work full time (sometimes long shifts). I cleaned the girls out last night and it took less than 20 mins

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
I know you said you don't want additional washing, but just quick thought.

I use fleece in our indoor cage and only change the main liner once every 6 - 7 days.
I have smaller fleece pads which I use in areas that I know will get wet or dirty quickly and change these as needed.
When I remove a pad I shake it off, and drop it in a horsewear wash bag in the laundry.
When i change the liner I add this to the wash bag and throw the whole lot in the machine, so it works out to be one extra load of laundry a week.
The wash bag keeps all of the hair, hay, etc contained so it doesn't get into my machine and on to our clothes (my husband would love wearing a hairy shirt to the office1!).

I used to have them on Auboise on newspaper, and found that with disposable bedding I was spending a fortune, and making more mess in the house, so fleece has actually saved me time and money and cut down on the mess.

But I also appreciate that it isn't for everyone, and of course a lot of the above depends on the size of the cage, etc.

I am sure lots of others will chime in with their ideas too, but sometimes it is just matter of trying something out and deciding what works best for you.
Well done for doing the research in advance though. I am impressed with your organisation.

The3LittlePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use newspaper and then hay and safe shredded paper, but my piggies live outside so the smell isn't a problem to us, and I would imagine it would be pretty smelly in a confined space. Other than fleece, I've heard wood chips are pretty good at absorbing smells and all you get is a sort of woody scent, but you'd have to be careful about the kind you brought.

TomsMum2008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I use puppy pads and a thick layer of Fitch. It's bought in 20kg bales and is white, so it's great for spot cleaning but not for poo cleaning. I don't fancy washing fleece or Vetbed either, as I work full time (sometimes long shifts). I cleaned the girls out last night and it took less than 20 mins
Thanks for your reply. I looked into fitch. If it's already absorbent do you still need a puppy pad?
Ps. I just bought 7 puppy pads in poundland! 14p each!
Much cheaper n easier than a wash load!

eileen

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
i use puppy pads as a liner,like you would newspaper,then use substrate on top,snowflake softchip,aubiose,megasorb,anyone of these beddings,only use one!then a layer of hay on top,pads make it easier to roll up and clear out.:nod:

TomsMum2008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i use puppy pads as a liner,like you would newspaper,then use substrate on top,snowflake softchip,aubiose,megasorb,anyone of these beddings,only use one!then a layer of hay on top,pads make it easier to roll up and clear out.:nod:
Hiya, thanks for replying, please can i ask why you need the additional layer of hay? Would that make it smelly?

Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I don't add a layer of hay because I don't want the piggies peeing on it and then eating it. They have a hay rack and a hay stuffed log on the platform, two baskets stuffed with hay which they sleep and eat, and I'm adding a small tray which I'm putting puppy pads in with hay on top.

That should be enough hay for the time being :)

eileen

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
you do not have to have a layer of hay,it is different for every owner,whatever works best for you.i take old hay out and replace twice aday,mine seem to like rumaging through hay!:)

Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I changed their corner toilet to a hay tray after putting puppy pads in it. So they can sit in it and munch whilst they wee now (they weren't using it as a toilet anyway. Il poo and spot clean later on tonight.

Teddybear22

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
I did the same as Swissgreys (liner + smaller fleece pads on high traffic areas :))) and it worked really well for me too!

Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I did the same as Swissgreys (liner + smaller fleece pads on high traffic areas :))) and it worked really well for me too!
High traffic areas just happen to be the entire cage!

When they have started to really settle down they will be going in the pen, and I'm using puppy pads in there as I will change them every night. My OH thinks only newspaper in the pen, as they will be in it for several hours only, whilst I spot clean and pick up poo from their cage.

I get all of the fun jobs :)

Teddybear22

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Well, look at it this way: piggy poops usually mean piggys good health (I know is not always like that but piggy poops do say a lot about health status!). It made me appreciate them more :))

TomsMum2008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I looked into fitch. If it's already absorbent do you still need a puppy pad?
Ps. I just bought 7 puppy pads in poundland! 14p each!
Much cheaper n easier than a wash load!
Hiya, have you found anywhere other than Amazon and Fitch direct to buy Fitch from?
The 20kg bag just seems enormous and the 10kg bag just doesn't look cost effective seeing a as its about £2-3 cheaper on Amazon.
Also do know if I could store the Fitch outside, say in a bin type thing? Would it just absorb all the moisture in the atmosphere?

Flamestriker

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I store it in the bag it comes in, next to the piggies cage (and their hay holder is on top. It's a pop up linen basket which holds one or more bags of hay. Al I have to is grab a handful and place in side of cage rather than fight to get it out of the bag).

I use puppy pads underneath the Fitch. I poop scoop and remove the wee stained Fitch daily, and add a half handful back every several days.

The 20kg bake is large, but I wouldn't think of getting the smaller 10kg bag due to cost. You can order Fitch directly from the supplier, but I get mine from Amazon.

I also have two Zoozone 2 cages converted for Syrian hamsters. One is on Fitch because he has long fur, and the other is on Megazorb. (They were both on Megazorb, but Fluffy had tangles galore).

Status
Not open for further replies.