• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eddie doesn't quite seem himself

Aw, you’ll be glad to get him home, hope he makes a full recovery and gets noshing x

Oh this is good news. Hopefully he is more himself now and gets eating all that lovely hay!

Update:
Eddie and Elvis are now back home and Eddie is looking quite perky and active which is great.

The vet couldn't actually see anything wrong with his molars or mouth in general so I've got metacam to give him until at least Monday when we're having a phone consultation. If he gets worse before Monday I'm going to take him back in instead of just calling or take him in sooner if needed. The instructions for the metacam say give the 5kg dose which the vet said is the cats one. On the syringe there's units going up to 10 on one side of the lines and it says kg at the top on the other. This means to give him 5 units of metacam doesn't it? The vet said she's given him some already so does that mean I don't need to give him any until tomorrow?

Since his poos are no longer soft (they haven't been since at least this morning and there weren't many soft ones in the first place) the vet said he should have veg as normal to encourage him to eat so him and Elvis are both tucking in. Eddie's just as enthusiastic about veg as always and wheeked too. He's even been happily munching celery which is obviously quite crunchy! He's been eating some hay too and he's having much less trouble than yesterday.

I'm so happy with how much happier he seems 😄
Thank you everyone for your advise and support 😊😊

Update:
Eddie and Elvis are now back home and Eddie is looking quite perky and active which is great.

The vet couldn't actually see anything wrong with his molars or mouth in general so I've got metacam to give him until at least Monday when we're having a phone consultation. If he gets worse before Monday I'm going to take him back in instead of just calling or take him in sooner if needed. The instructions for the metacam say give the 5kg dose which the vet said is the cats one. On the syringe there's units going up to 10 on one side of the lines and it says kg at the top on the other. This means to give him 5 units of metacam doesn't it? The vet said she's given him some already so does that mean I don't need to give him any until tomorrow?

Since his poos are no longer soft (they haven't been since at least this morning and there weren't many soft ones in the first place) the vet said he should have veg as normal to encourage him to eat so him and Elvis are both tucking in. Eddie's just as enthusiastic about veg as always and wheeked too. He's even been happily munching celery which is obviously quite crunchy! He's been eating some hay too and he's having much less trouble than yesterday.

I'm so happy with how much happier he seems 😄
Thank you everyone for your advise and support 😊😊
Sorry I have only ever had dog Metacam so can’t help you there, you could ring the vets for confirmation in the morning, so glad he is happier now x

I know what you mean about how much meds. . Can be a bit confusing. . You may have to ring up to clarify the dose . .
Great news piggie seems better. . Take a day or so to come round. .

Morning everyone :)

Eddie is still sitting and sleeping more than usual but when he is up he's moving about quite happily. He's had his metacam on a small piece of lettuce so that should make him more comfortable.
This morning Eddie weighs 1069g (yesterday he was 1072g) so he hasn't lost any weight but the poos I shook out of the cosy he was in are still much to small. I'm aware that poo output lags behind a bit but how much exactly is it?

I didn't put any critical care in the cage last night because Eddie didn't seem that interested in it and Elvis would try to eat it all anyway but I feel like I should give Eddie some. How can I make it more appetising to him? I think @Bill & Ted mentioned oats. Do I give him a bowl of plain oats or do I mix them in to some critical care?
Or should I leave him to try and eat for himself since he hasn't lost any weight? It's hard to know whether to let him do things for himself or feed him myself.

I feel like I've blathered a bit so I hope this makes sense 😂

I would just give dry plain porridge oats in a bowl to eat if you can as they aren’t easy to syringe feed. Mashed banana is good for mashing into critical care though x
Encourage him with hand feeding and give a top up of cc if you don’t think he has had very much

Mine like oats mixed with grated sweet potato or carrot as well as plain.

I shouldn’t worry too much about Elvis eating the critical care you put in.

When Phoebe was recovering from her dental I put a dish in the cage with strict instructions to all piggies that it was for Phoebe.
Seconds later neither of the noses in the dish belonged to her!

I put some grated carrot in critical care for Eddie but he's still not interested. I don't want to force him to eat it at this point since he's eating other things so I left the bowl in the cage and unsurprisingly Elvis ate it :doh: . Eddie's had a go at a little bit of hay but he's not eating much of it. He did happily munch his way through a pile of grass though. I gave him some oats too and he had a nibble of them too.

Elvis needs his veggies now because I separated him from Eddie so Eddie could eat his grass. Does Eddie need veg too or not since he's already had grass?

Back