• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eddie doesn't quite seem himself

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a bit worried about Eddie. He seems a bit quieter than normal today. I haven't been sat in the same room as the piggies today but when I've come in Eddie has been sat looking a bit hunched(?) in the same kind of place (picture below). There were a few poops where he was sitting and they look softer than they should (picture also below).
I put some more fresh hay out to see if he'd wake up a bit and go eat some and he ate a few mouthfuls but then went off into a box. Then he tried to eat a bit of cardboard one of them had ripped off a box but he just kind of picked it up and dropped it again so I'm worried there's something wrong with his teeth. Normally he sits and eats for a while when I put fresh hay out but he didn't.
I'm not sure if it's related but yesterday Eddie got a pellet stuck on his bottom incisors. It was a science selective pellet with the hole in the middle and he didn't bite down hard enough so it stuck on his tooth until he bit down more. He seemed fine after and kept eating the pellets.
I weighed him last Sunday as normal and his weight wasn't any lower than normal. I'm going to give him a check over a little later today and I'll weigh him tomorrow morning as I would do anyway.
Eddie seemed fine last night and this morning it's only this afternoon he's seemed off.

Am I overthinking or does he sound a little under the weather?
Should I give him his veg later as normal or should I hold off because if the odd poos?
Any thoughts/advice welcome :)
IMG_20210108_134857020.jpgIMG_20210108_154025979.jpgIMG_20210108_153953262.jpg

If he has had a change in his behaviour, then you are right to be picking up on it.
Weigh him daily, ensure fresh hay is right next to him so he doesn’t have to move to get to it, and I’d get him an appointment just to be on the safe side. If he has soft poops, then it’s best to hold off on the veg.
Is the room warm enough?
Hopefully it’s nothing and he perks up quickly

I’d try and get him in for a check over if he’s the same in the morning personally, hopefully he’ll perk up tonight 🤞. The SS pellets are quite hard so he could be sore from that stuck in his mouth etc.
If you’re worried I’d definitely get him checked out with your vet though xx:hug:hope he’s ok xx

Thanks for replying so quickly everyone :) I'll keep an eye on him and start the weighing from tomorrow morning so I can weigh at the same time. And of course talk to the vet if he doesn't pick up by tomorrow. I'll hold off on the veg too but is there anything tasty I could feed him to tempt him to eat come out and eat? Forage maybe? Do piggies just have off days sometimes?

I agree. If he is still the same tomorrow, I’d book him in for a vet check.

My Edward had soft poos last week so I took him off fresh veg for 48 hours and slowly reintroduced once his poos had firmed up.

Hopefully Eddie is just having an off day x

Thanks for replying so quickly everyone :) I'll keep an eye on him and start the weighing from tomorrow morning so I can weigh at the same time. And of course talk to the vet if he doesn't pick up by tomorrow. I'll hold off on the veg too but is there anything tasty I could feed him to tempt him to eat come out and eat? Forage maybe? Do piggies just have off days sometimes?
Yeah sure they must have their good and bad days like us!
How does his mouth look? Has he got any swelling or redness etc? xx

I haven't checked him just yet I'm waiting for someone in my family to be free to come and hold him so I can get a good look (shouldn't be too long). Is there an easy way to gently open his mouth to have a look inside? Eddie tends to squirm when held so I'm not sure how that'll go...

If it’s to look at his incisors you need to lift his lips up around them all to check, like you would with teeth, and it would be good just to make sure you can’t see anything still stuck there etc. If you can’t see anything obvious then don’t try and look any further down, leave that for the vet. They’ve only got teeny mouths!
Glad he’s moving around! Hopefully he’s just a little bit sore (not in a mean way!) from the food xx

Thanks @alpacasqueak I'll update you once I've had a look.

Elvis is fed and Eddie made sure to make me feel guilty for not feeding him too! There was lots of wheeking, following me and trying to eat Elvis's food so I had to separate them while Elvis ate. He's definitely not lost his appetite for veg!

He's tried to eat a bit of hay again too but he seems to be having a bit of trouble with it. He's moving his mouth around more than normal as if the hay's not going into his mouth right. For long pieces he was putting his paw on it to pull it out his mouth and have another go. That doesn't seem right to me.

IMG_20210108_172114766.jpg
Here he is sitting where he waits while I'm doing their veg just to make a point 😂
IMG_20210108_172228314.jpg
Nibbling hay

Eddie is still looking like he's expecting his veg. He's running after me! Would it be ok to give him some forage?

I've had a look in him mouth and it doesn't look red or sore to me but I've never had to look in a piggys mouth before so I'm not sure what it should look like.

I tried to give him a little bowl of critical care to top him up just in case but he didn't like it :doh: I'm now softening pellets in hot water for him to see if he'll each that.

Eddie doesn't like mashed pellets either! I'll only know tomorrow if he's actually lost any weight so I'm kind of doing it to make me feel better. Is it worth pursuing at this point?

Back