• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Eye Removal Question

Elias

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig is about 8 years old and has a white spot in his eye that I have just noticed. I have took him to the adoption center I got him from, and they informed me that it was definitely not cataracts. It could possibly be a build of up fat (he is a bit chubby), something could be stuck in his eye, or it could be a tumor. They said it was possible that his eye may need to be removed.

I haven't noticed any changes in his behavior, besides the lack of youthful energy that is to be expected of a guinea pig of his age, so I don't think he is in pain. I am concerned that any treatments that the vet may suggest will be very hard on him because he is older.

He lives alone with me, and has always been healthy until now, so he has never needed to visit a vet before.

If anyone has any idea how much different treatments will cost so I can be prepared when I take him to the vet it would be a great help.

The first thing you must do is take your piggy to the vet to be examined. The white dot could be from a hay poke injury which is easily treatable with antibiotic eye drops prescribed by a vet but only a vet can treat and diagnose the problem.

It could also be a build up of fat although I’m not sure without looking at your piggy. Could you get a clear photo of the effected eye?

Any changes to the eyes should be seen promptly by a vet, hopefully this may be a haypoke/corneal ulcer that can be effectively diagnosed using a special dye and UV light, and treated with eyedrops, if caught early enough.
It seems odd that eye removal and tumours were the first thoughts of whoever looked at him at the rescue- although these are of course possibilities, a bit of hay in the eye is much more likely!

The first thing you must do is take your piggy to the vet to be examined. The white dot could be from a hay poke injury which is easily treatable with antibiotic eye drops prescribed by a vet but only a vet can treat and diagnose the problem.

It could also be a build up of fat although I’m not sure without looking at your piggy. Could you get a clear photo of the effected eye?

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 21
Hope your vet can give you an answer, and it's not something requiring the eye to be removed.
If it's not haypoke or cataract, there is also something called osseous metaplasia or heterotopic bone, which can cause white areas in the eye but isn't painful.

Sometimes they can get calcium deposits in the eye. I have had a few like this. One in particular did have issues as the calcium was extensive and caused pressure to build up in the eye (very easy for a vet to check this). She had drops and lived to a very old age.

Aw wishing your piggie the best of luck, hope it’s nothing serious x

I went to the vet, and she told me that my guinea pig has a congenital condition called heterotropic bone formation, and that there aren't any treatments for it. Little bits of bone grow over his eyes, but it's not painful, so he'll be okay.

I’m sorry to hear that but I’m glad it isn’t painful and that your piggy will be ok

Had to google it as I’ve never heard of it! But so glad it’s not going to cause pain for your little lad x

Back