• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

HeatherW

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a question about feeding fresh fruit and vegetables.

What is the right amount in a day, and can you overfeed a guinea pig? I know it's not possible to overdose on vitamin C and shouldn't feed sugary foods like apples and carrots too regularly, but is there an ideal portion size? Also, is here anything you should avoid feeding young piggies compared to adults? My furbabies are 3 and 10 months old.

I've attached a photo of what I usually feed my two piglets; they love baby carrots and cucumber, but salad leaves are their favourite! I feed them this amount of fresh fruit and veg twice a day. Is this too much or too little? They devour all of it!

Having researched various "safe" foods online, there's a surprising amount of contradictory information as to what you can and can't feed guinea pigs. For example, some websites say it's perfectly fine to feed sweetcorn or corn on the cob, but other sites advise avoiding them. Generally, all websites seem to agree on the following:

GOOD
- Salad leaves (except iceberg lettuce)
- Cabbage, kale, etc. (infrequently)
- Tomatoes
- Bell peppers
- Cucumber
- Carrots (infrequently)
- Apple (infrequently)
- Seedless grapes (infrequently)
- Banana
- Broccoli
- Cauliflower

BAD - NEVER FEED
- Potatoes
- Onions and anything related like chives, leeks, etc.
- Grains (like couscous)
- Nuts
- Seeds
- Any fruits which still contain seeds, e.g. grapes

Can anyone advise as to whether it's safe to feed the food below? I like to keep my piggies' diet reasonably varied to keep them happy, healthy and interested. :)

- Sweetcorn / corn on the cob
- Beans, e.g. green beans, runner beans (I've heard these are poisonous?)
- Peas

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20180216_102627.jpg

We have a link to a diet guide mentioning frequency, safe and unsafe foods here Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

The recommended ratio of food groups:
- ca. 80% or more hay
- 10-15% veg and fresh herbs (ca. 1 cupful / 50g / nearly 2oz)
- 5-10% pellets (amount depending on the age)
- plenty of fresh water daily

In answer to your question Green beans are safe :) they are high in sugar so not too frequently.
Have no idea on runner beans or peas I am afraid, will do some research...

That amount of food looks fine :) Tomato and Apples should only be feed as a treat though.

We feed ours this roughly

Morning:
Cucumber -1.5 cm x 2cm chunks (twice)
Celery - 1 stick between 3 chopped up small
1/6th of Red/Green/Yellow Bell Pepper (de-seeded)

Evening:
Cucumber 1.5 cm x 2cm chunks (twice)
Two Little Gem Lettuce leaves or 10 sprigs Coriander. Twice a week we will swap in cabbage or parsley

We also add in to the above diet carrot, sweet potato, celery leaves, green beans, baby corn and a few other things occasionally

But by no means am I any expert on food here, some folks on the forum are really clued up... so pick up advise where you can

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Lee

Last edited:
Runner beans beans are poisonous (they are to humans as well raw). I don't know what the official thinking is on the green bit but best not to feed if you are not sure.

Thank you both! I've not fed them anything I didn't think was safe; it's just good to get some clarification. :) I'll cut down on the apple and carrots and introduce some celery and herbs to keep them interested. I quite like fresh coriander myself; the pigs are doing a pretty good job of improving my own diet! :P

I have never given the piggie any beens, but I see that here in Italy the websites of vets, breeders and rescues allow max 1 piece once in a while, not because they are poisonous, but because they are rich of oxalates. I am talking of this kind of beens:
751.jpg.pagespeed.ce.XImO9RXnOc.jpg

I've just got back from the shops, a lady in the supermarket commented on all the lovely fresh food in my basket. I smiled and thanked her, and replied 'we like to eat healthily in our house'. :whistle:;)
Today I went to the supermarket only for buying the usual bell pepper (one) and the lady (laughing!) told me "would you please tell me what the hell you are going to cook for the family with ONLY one piece? every time you come here you buy only ONE pepper!". Here people buy large bags of vegs at the market and I also fill a shopping trolley when I go there, but my snobish piggies prefer the sweeter and redder pepper from Holland!! which is sold at the supermarket!:D

Back